Windows XP SP2; Computer Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

delfofthebla

I've had my computer for a year, if that. I have never had any problems with it before this happened, and I did not install any new hardware within the last few months.

I was just doing random stuff, did not have much open..windows media player and firefox was it. Out of nowhere my monitor acts as if it had been unplugged. I can still hear my music thats playing while this is happening. After the monitor finishes going into a standby mode, the music stops and my computer is completely locked up. The only thing I could do is hold the power button until it shut off. I let it sit for a minute and turned it back on, After a good 15 minutes it happened again. I let it sit even longer (10 minutes?) and it didn't even fully load up windows before it happened again.

I tried going into Safe Mode to do a chkdsk run, and it only got about halfway done before it shut off. I always turn the computer off before I go to bed and whenever i leave for more than 10 minutes I put it in sleep mode. I have all my anti virus software up to date, and I run Registry Mechanic/Booster whenever I start up my computer. I try to treat my computer the best way possible so this kind of thing doesn't happen, so I have no idea what could have caused this to happen.

Does anyone know what could have happened, or how I can fix this?

System specs that I can remember off the top of my head

Windows XP SP2 installed
Pentium 4 processor 3.06ghz (ish?)
1250mb of ram
Nvidia 7900 GS, 256mb of memory
500Watt PSU (this i upgraded about 8 months ago, if that helps)

If it only happens after a period of time, something may be overheating.

You could try touching the various heatsinks {CPU, Northbridge & Video Card} and seeing if any are too hot. - uncomfortable to touch = too hot.

I'd also try a MemTest .

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Well I left it off for the night and went to bed. It turned off before I got to log in the next day. I opened the case and it wasn't hot, nor was there any dust in the fan or heat sink.

I don't think I can keep it on long enough to run a memtest, I tried to go into bios and it didn't last two minutes.

Memtest runs in DOS {you make a bootable floppy or CD}, so it's O/S independant.

At least you'll rule out 1 suspect.

If it passes OK, try the Diagnostic from your Hard Drive manufacturer {also DOS}.

Those are the 2 most likely suspects.

OOps, I didn't notice that it was dying in the BIOS too...

Can you try another known working Power Supply?

I tried it with another power supply (my old one) and I also removed the video card with it (since my old PSU can't handle the video card) and I got the same problem, so I am starting to think its the motherboard. I'll probably just try to call the manufactorers and hope I get someone that actually speaks english. Thanks anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back