Windows XP SP2 installation probs

By silent111
Apr 27, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    I have been trying to install SP 2 on my PC, I can download the update but when I go to install it, it gets to "backup Reg.inf" (I think) then stops and stays like this until I turn off my PC and suprisingly hasn't install correctly and I have to remove the partial install.

Any help much appriciated,
    Thanks
  2. alidabiri

alidabiri Newcomer, in training Posts: 540

how are you installing xp-sp2? what's on the machine now? 98? xp-home? or just empty formatted hdd? please clarify what's on the machine now! before xp-sp2?
  3. silent111

silent111 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 37

Hi,
    I have SP 1 installed, when I try to install SP 2 it copies the files (sp2) on to my PC, then it tries to backup the old files, this is where it stops and wont go any further, I have tried to format the HDD but doesn't make any difference it still stops in same place.

Cheers
  4. alidabiri

alidabiri Newcomer, in training Posts: 540

let me get this straight. you have xp-pro-sp1 on your machine. and you're trying to try xp-pro-sp2? is sp2 on a cd? is it the whole xp-pro-sp2? or just service pack 2 updates? can you clarify that?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.