Windows XP SP2 installation probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

silent111

Hi,

I need help with my dads PC (See my profile No.2) I have installed all windows SP 1 updates, which actually took ages because I have to install a few at a time otherwise the PC freezes, but anyway I have them all on now.

I now have a problem with service pack 2 which I have had for a while, when I try to install SP2 it starts off installing but it stops installing at:

Backing up OEM17.inf at this point it will not doing anything.

I have had service pack 2 on the PC before but due to other problems I had to reinstall windows now I cant get SP 2 on and now have a little blue icon on my toolbar which states that 'support for windows SP1 ends on October 10 2006'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well is it must to backup, wanna get rid off sp2 later then? Clean up temp folder too
type run box(or command promt) %temp% (opens temp folder)then press crtl+a(paste all items) then just press delete

Thanks for reply have emptied my temp folder but didnt really understand your reply will this help to install sp2 ?

Thx tried both of those, emptied temp folder and ran chkdsk, tried to reinstall sp2 but installation stopped in exactly the same place whilst backing up OEM17.INF???????????

It backs up all the files, then backs up the registry, then stops at the above place.

have tried to install sp2 in safe mode but when I go to the update site I get an error, can SP2 be installed in safe mode??

try the "clean install" option. you will lose all your files and data from the PC but a clean install almost always works better than an upgrade b/c windows XP is using its "own" settings and space right from the beggining.

hope this helps
.....AMD

I tried to run a search for the file but cant find it, not sure where it is supposed to be, I used to have a Nvidia graphics card before I replaced it with an ATI, but couldn't get SP2 to install with that card either, it still stopped in the same place.

its in hidden system folder C:\windows\inf

open mycomputer/ tools / folder options / view /dot "show hidden files and folders" uncheck "protected operation system files"

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
try the "clean install" option. you will lose all your files and data from the PC but a clean install almost always works better than an upgrade b/c windows XP is using its "own" settings and space right from the beggining.

hope this helps
.....AMD
agree ;) ;) ;)

Cheers, have tried a clean install a few times before but still get the same problem, which leads to think that something in my system is not compatible with sp2 but not sure which bit.

I have added extra h/w to the system but everything that has been added is from a system that has had SP 2 on it, except the HDD and the mobo, but like I said my first post the PC had sp2 on it before

ok.. try striping down to just motherboard, vid card (onboard if possible), audio, cpu, 1 ram, 1 hdd and 1 optical drive and a floppy if you use sata.

find a slipstreamed WinXp SP2 cd and give that a go...

try this, it always works:

get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format the hard disk
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
turn pc on
get into bios
go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
save bios, exit.
let xp install.

Cheers,

managed to get it on by stripping down system and using basic setup all is working fine now thanks for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back