Windows XP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

i have windows xp and sp2, and was wondering wether it is a crucial to install sp3. Can anyone enlighten me what new features sp3 has over sp2, and wether it is worth installing?

thanks in advance,

Well let's put it this way is SP2 working fine right now on your system? If you say yes! Then I would recommend not migrating to SP3 as it has some issues with XP. If you want to learn more about SP3 you can head over to: wiki XP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP Scroll down to Service Pack 3.

I second tipstir's comments. Generally I advocate updating, but I don't believe any significant upgrades (or any at all really) were put in with SP3. Instead it was really just a bunch of security updates that you can also get on SP2. At least that is how I understand it. SP1 got program access and defaults in the Add/Remove Programs control panel, SP2 got a Security Center, SP3 just got updates. SP3 is also the only one that you can't directly install on a pre service pack XP. So its hardly a service pack in the 'traditional' sense.

Another in favor of not getting SP3- if you got SP1, SP2 and the updates since, you do NOT need SP3.

does SP3 not have any new features?, for instance i have heared that it can increase your PC's performance my up to 20%.

does it have any new desktop themes, like a vista one?

I'm in favour of SP3 !!

SP3 will eventually become an automatic update (not sure why it isn't yet)
Then you will have to get it anyway (as long as automatic updates are turned on)

I don't think it should be looked as user choice. It's a Security update (Service Pack)
That has been longed for, for many years by most.

But from what I hear, all of its security updates are also available without SP3. So, if that is true (and it may not be) then why is it even a service pack at all, why not call it something else like 'combo update' or something.

Correct you don't need SP3 just keep SP2 and download the updates you need and be happy!

I got SP3 simply because it came out on the same day as GTA IV. And me being a PC gamer with none of the current gen consoles (360/PS3) to play GTA IV on I decided I needed something on the day so SP3 it was for me.

SP3 did not satisfy me as much as GTA IV would of i suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back