Windows XP Startup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joscpe

Hello, I was using my computer like I normally would, than suddenly it restarted... I think it may have been way too hot for my computer as my room can get really hot at times, I can hardly breathe sometimes.

Well, it wouldn't load up at all, so I turned it off, when I turned it back on nothing happened, no lights, no beeps, nothing. I turned off the switch on the back and left it over night. When I turned it on today it did a CHKDSK, when it finnished it restarted. It loaded like it normally would, after the XP loading screen I hear the login sound, but the screen is black, I waited and it stayed black for over 8 minutes, being impatiant and not wanting to wait any longer, I restarted. Same thing happened again, but no CHKDSK.

I than ran it in Safe Mode and it seems to work, but I had no internet or anything, so I ran Safe Mode (with networking) and now it seems to run. Safe Mode is alright for Instant Messaging and music, I guess... But I would like my normal Windows XP to run. Safe Mode is really slow and scrolling freezes up the computer alot.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

heat can be a real problem too. I have solved a lot of problems by simply opening up a side of the case and blowing a fan into it. Try adding some more case fans or moving it to a place that isn't as hot.

Codex Computing said:
are there any error messages that show or any BSOD's etc???

added any new hardware???

:hotbounce

james
I don't get any error messages, just goes black, I hear the login sound though.

bradthegreat said:
heat can be a real problem too. I have solved a lot of problems by simply opening up a side of the case and blowing a fan into it. Try adding some more case fans or moving it to a place that isn't as hot.
I can't get to any stores to get a case fan, I have no ride and I only have a ceiling fan. It's quite cool in here now, but it still isn't working. I will try opening my case though. It seems to be running ALOT quieter now. I guess there is no way to read what temp it is in my case just on the computer?

you can look at the temperatures of various parts of your computer using a program called Speedfan. It's free, btw. If you can only get it into safe mode, you may try using System Restore and go back to before you began having problems. Sometimes an update or driver is bad and causes this...

All good suggestions here. However, since you went to start it up and had no beeps, lights or activity, I'm thinking a possible faulty power supply. Excess heat can certainly take out a ps. Is this a dell, hp, compaq, etc, or a home built pc?

it beeps now, just the first time I tried starting it, it didnt beep or anything. Now it starts up normally but it loads XP than goes black. I have a home built computer, I never have problems with it till now. I did get more ram, a new motherboard and a new cpu a while ago, but its never had a problem. I installed them like a month or two ago...

Now, all of a sudden it won't allow me to use Safe Mode, it loads shows a bunch of info, something about partitioning drivers... and than when safe mode would usually run it just restarts.

I think you may have hardware problems (motherboard, memory or both), which has hosed your OS. Did you try Codex's suggestions?

No I haven't I have a hard time finding where to plug my power supply in. Its been working fine up until now. Ive been using my laptop to post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back