TechSpot

Windows XP Startup, Shutdown, and My Computer issues

By hockey2112
Jan 28, 2007
  1. Hello all,

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. I just reinstalled Windows yesterday, and have been adding my components one by one. I ran into a problem tonight when trying to install my multi card reader.

I installed the drivers and plugged the card reader into the USB connector on my Mobo. I attempted to boot up windows after plugging my power cables back in; it took forever to boot up. Once it booted, I did a restart, and it took forever to log off and reboot. When it did reboot, it began sending me to the "Windows did not shut down/ start up properly... choose safe mode, last know good config, start windows normally" dialogue.

I have chosen "start windows normally" and "last known good config", and neither one of them solve my problem (extremely slow log on and log off/ shut down). Also, once I finally make it into Windows, I cannot access the contents of My Computer. All other folders work fine, and I can easily navigate to the various hard drives by typing their location in the address bar of the folder. But when I double-click on My Computer, or type its location directly into my address bar, I just get the hourglass and nothing happens.

This definitely has to have something to do with that darn card reader. None of these issues occurred until immediately after I installed the reader. I did not download any programs and install them, so I am confident that I did not contract a virus.

Can anyone please help me fix this problem?

Specs:

ASUS A8N-SLI mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core CPU
    Corsair 512 MB single DDR RAM
    WD SATA HD
    2x WD IDE HD
    DVD+R Drive
    generic firewire PCI card
    MyHD tuner PCI card
    Firewire case component plugged into Firewirre connector on mobo
    USB case component plugged into USB connector on mobo

2. joked u 2

joked u 2 TS Rookie Posts: 128

a couple of things, is it possible u could have plugged in the card reader in backwards?? also try to unplug it and c if that temp. solves ur problem. also how many watts is ur psu?

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

if you say its caused by the card reader, then have you tried simply removing it?

4. hockey2112

hockey2112 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, I removed it from the mobo pinout, but the problems persist. It was plugged in correctly... The plug had 9 holes and one "covered " hole, representing the "missing" pin on the mobo connector, so it could not have been plugged in any other way.

5. larrybody

larrybody TS Rookie Posts: 17

Have you tried uninstalling the device in Device Manager? Maybe it is a driver problem. Also while in Device Manager check to see if there are any resource conflicts.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.