Windows XP suddenly started loading choppy itself and other programs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I have never experienced such problem, but my computer started loading windows xp and anyprograms under it very slowly. This happened after the pc crashed and i restarted it. Under safe mode however the choppy loading disappears. Can anyone give me a hint of where the problem might be coming from?? I thought it might be something to do with the memory as i noticed it was loading fairly slow but the memtest86 came up with nothing.

Thanks

My configuration is:
AMD XP1600+
512MB Ram
80GB 7200rpm HDD
30GB 5200rpm HDD
Gigabyte Motherboard

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Double click my computer and right click on your hard drive then select properties then tools then under error checking click on check now and tick the box that says automatically fix file system errors then click start.

You will be presented with a message click yes then restart your computer.

Once the disk check has finished your computer will reboot.

Now get rid of any temp files including internet cookies and temp files then run a defrag.

See if that improves things, if not please post back.

Regards Howard
santa2.gif

I still have to do the defrag, however while running the scandisk i saw that there is actually 20kb of bad sectors which must have been found last time i ran full scan(incompletely). Nevertheless i know taht even one bad sector spells out trouble for the hdd and was thinking could that be it?
Also thinking of your suggestion, that its HDD problem, first it feels too severe to be just a HDD defrag problem and second wouldnt it affect the computer even in safe mode if it was??
Im still going to do it over the weekend when im not going to be using the computer.
Would like to hear your view over this.
Thanks
FoZA

You could of course as well as ticking the fix file system errors tick the scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

If you do this you will have to be patient as it can take quite some time to complete.

Regards Howard
santa2.gif

well either my hdds or my dvd/cdrw have been causing me grief as when the computer reboots and the bios detects each it just freezes. Now that my hdd has a bad sector and from experience once hdd developes a bad sector more follow and it is as good as gone, only a matter of time. Im already considering buying a new hdd which would fit the current problem profile of occuring after freezing in game and having to shut down the pc(no restart button) and then developing bad sectors.I still dont believe bad sectors can crippple a computer's performance sooo severely(example it took only like 20-30 seconds at windows xp pro loading where the blue bar moves from left to right and had pause only once or twic, now it takes like 90 seconds at least and pauses at least 10 times).

FoZA

If after doing all the checks I suggested you are still having problems it might be a good idea to search for spyware malware and virus infections.

Take a look at the following thread by RBS.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17297.html

Only after doing all the above if there is still no improvment should you start looking elsewhere I.E hardware.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Well to finish this post, i decided tonight to scrap all that fixing nonsense and formated my C: drive and the computer seems to be running on its usual speed. For how long that is yet to be seen...
Thank you very much for you invaluable help howard.
Regards
FoZA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back