Windows XP System32 Error Messages at login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I login to my computer, I get the following error messages:

Windows cannot find c:\WINDOWS\system32\mcwxevd.dll
Windows cannot find c:\WINDOWS\system32\fneltlj.dll
Windows cannot find c:\WINDOWS\system32\wnwowrc.dll
Windows cannot find c:\WINDOWS\system32\exczqjd.dll

I don't think there are any error message numbers, but these 4 separate messages pop-up every day I login to my computer. There are 2 other users on this computer, but they aren't getting these messages. I am the system administrator and I have been all over the internet trying to find out what this is and how to fix it.

I really need help with this and I don't know what else to do.
Thank you, Michelle

Try running into safe mode. see how in the follwing link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Then in safe mode go to start/run and type in "sfc /scannow"

This will look for any incorrect, missing or corrupted files and try to fix them.

Note: Make sure you have your windows xp disk handy.

Regards Jase :)

Safe mode

Hi Jase,

Thank you for the help. I do have a question about it. After I do that, the error messages will not appear anymore. At that point, do I need to turn off safe mode?

Thank you,
Michelle

I was just wondering if you might know what could have caused this problem. I searched all over the internet for several weeks now and haven't found an answer. Just wondering if this is something I can prevent in the future.

I am not even really sure what system32 is or what it does for my system, but I do know the error messages aren't good.

Thank you,
Michelle

Hi Jase,

I must be doing something wrong. I went into the safe mode, but nothing happened. Is there something I should be doing while I am in safe mode? After I rebooted and went back into normal mode, I still keep getting the same error messages.

Michelle

Restart your pc. When the screen starts to come on hit f8 repeatdly.

Then select safe mode, and run the scan i told you to.

I was just wondering if you might know what could have caused this problem.

There are a few possibilities. You could of accidently deleted important files ect..

Jase,

I tried to run the sfc/scannow in safe mode and it says it can't find this file. I did a search and it still didn't find it.

Michelle

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It`s a pity no one checked out those .dll files. If they had, they would have advised you that your system is probably infected with malware. These are not Windows OS files, so doing an sfc /scannow is of little use.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of shell_anders only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I did Google the dlls, and all I got back were links to this thread and a page on no more pasting and another page on possible malware but its condition was undecided. The file names do look a bit random (random file names usually means malware) but I cast that thought aside for no apparent good reason. Any way it goes I do hope we can help you shell.

same here with the google search Cinders. lol.

But were alll here to help you Michelle, just do what Howard said above.

This thread is for the use of shell_anders only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back