Windows XP upgrade w/ Dell CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudezer88

I'd like to know if I can use a Windows XP upgrade CD with my Dell windows CD. I'm planning on upgrading my mobo and I know the Dell CD won't install on non-Dell hardware, but I don't want to spend the money on the full version of windows if I don't have to. I also have an old Windows 98se CD from our first Gateway computer, will that CD work? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Windows xp has an extensive driver database on it so it should work fine with your dell pc provided you put enough ram in it, and i doubt very much that the 98se will as it wont have the right drivers.

No, I want to know if I can buy an upgrade version of Windows XP and use the Windows XP CD that came with my Dell as the previous version, since the Upgrade version of Windows requires a previous version of windows to be installed. Sorry if I was unclear before.

Why do you even need to upgrade. You already have XP. Just remove all motherboard drivers from your OS then install the new Mobo. On first boot i'll pickup the new mobo. Install the new mobo drivers (sis/via/nforce) then reboot and your done. New mobo with your current XP installation :)

Sorry, so u mean u want to put a non dell mobo into a dell case. Well good lock finding one that will fit, but if u do, do what Jamezz98 said and all should be fine.

An upgrade XP CD is very similar to the full version.
Only difference is, it will ask during installation for proof of a previous Windows version.
At that moment, stick in your original W98 CD, XP checks it and should approve and continue installation once you swap the W98-CD back for the XP-CD.

It is always preferable to install from scratch when you swap mobo.

realblackstuff said:
An upgrade XP CD is very similar to the full version.
Only difference is, it will ask during installation for proof of a previous Windows version.
At that moment, stick in your original W98 CD, XP checks it and should approve and continue installation once you swap the W98-CD back for the XP-CD.

It is always preferable to install from scratch when you swap mobo.

That's true I suppose, but I'd rather not shell out another $100 for XP, since I already have it (this comp upgrade stuff is rapidly emptying my bank account). Is there a way to get my Dell WinXP CD to install with an ASUS P4S800 mobo? I've heard that the dell CD's won't install on non-dell hardware.

Also, if I go the uninstall drivers route mentioned before, which drivers do I need to uninstall? Does anything tied to my mobo have to go, including hard drive controllers and such?

you dont wanna go the uninstall drivers route if your switchin motherboards, it will cause u nothing but problems, you should be able to install it just fine from scratch from the dell cd with non dell hardware, its the same os that everyone else has, not dell specific,

Well, I've been searching around on the Internet and gotten some very mixed information regarding installing a Dell OEM XP CD on a non Dell mobo. Some say it will install but you simply have to activate windows afterwards. Some have said that the activation won't work. Anyway, I plan on trying both methods, since I have two hard drives. I'll try to just uninstall the drivers on my current XP install and see if that works. If not I'll try a clean install on my second hard drive. Thanks for all the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back