Windows XP versus ME?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Windows XP versus ME

I have had great support lately on Software/Utilities about the difficulty in getting my laptop repaired, now I'm asking advice re which Windows I should have in the future, if & when I get my own back.
I have one on loan that has ME, & it suits me just fine, my requirements are simple, I just want to surf, & send e-mails, nothing else, not burning CD's, not DVD's.....got a player for that, I don't go walk about with my laptop, not watching movies.
I know, boring, boring, but I leave all that jazz to you younger techies, & remember, I AM English, that should explain it!
So, can I have your opinions please, bearing in mind the above, would it be a good idea if I went for ME in the future, it has all I need, & even has different screensavers, or can you see snags? I can see one benefit straight away, not having the tempremental XP!, [& I know that some of you agree there, by some of your comments in the past] & can I get hold of an ME disk easily these days, for installing?
Lastly, if I have to get a new PC, I am looking at a desktop this time, with TFT monitor, you can get them here for around £600-£800.

Re: Windows XP versus ME

Originally posted by Maurice
my requirements are simple, I just want to surf, & send e-mails, nothing else, not burning CD's, not DVD's.....got a player for that, I don't go walk about with my laptop, not watching movies.
So, can I have your opinions please, bearing in mind the above, would it be a good idea if I went for ME in the future, it has all I need, & even has different screensavers, or can you see snags? I can see one benefit straight away, not having the tempremental XP!
If that's all you need, ME will do fine, especially if you would use a browser other than Internet Explorer (for avoiding popups, self-installing executables etc.). Actually, Win98SE would be better, in my opinion.

Even better option would be Linux, the new distributions are quite simple already and have browsers and e-mail clients, and you wouldn't have to worry about attacks or virii targeted to Windows machines. But I understand if you don't want to teach yourself to use Linux for just that.

A take off the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. If it works for you, so be it. Everybody has different needs and if ME is working for you and you're comfortable with it, stick with it for now. If you get new hardware in the future, be it desktop or laptop, take a look at XP. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it IMHO.

Just my $.02.:)

Edit: Wow, Mic beat me by mere seconds. :eek:

You would have a hard time finding a new ME, as nearly everybody has dumped it. The shops now sell only XP. You can buy used PC's, on which ME is still quite often pre-installed.
If you don't like XP, a better alternative is Windows 2000 Pro.
It is the most stable version around, although it is sometimes not easy to find drivers for modern accessories.
But that obviously is of small concern (if any) to you.
Before you buy any new PC, sue the pants off your current "techie" for letting you in the lurch for so long.

Once again, thanks to all who replied, I shall weigh up all your pros & cons, I thought tht ME disks might be unobtainable now, 2000, as you say, could be the best alternative.
Mictlantecuhti, brilliant name!, ["The skeletal god of death who ruled over Mictlan"], I am using IE on the laptop I have on loan, & it seems OK, I have a very good pop-up stopper, & I get no ads etc., & no, I don't want all the hassle of setting up Linus, your'e right!
Masque, as I said originally, I already have XP on my own PC, that's why I started this thread.
Realblackstuff, I am intending to have a solicitor's letter sent to him, I used to work at a firm of Solicitor's, & have made preliminary enquiries, I have been advised to get my PC back, then take it to an IT expert, to envaluate it's condition, getting a written report, then based on that report, a letter will be sent, then further procedures may ensue, it is an eighteen-month-old laptop which cost close to £800, & he will not get away with it, if the solicitor & I have anything to do with it!!. If, & I know it's a BIG if, he does manage to repair it, all well & good, but I can't see that happening.
By the way I have been forwarding some of my posts on TS, with your comments, [he agreed to this] if he hasn't got the message by now.......................!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back