Windows XP Viruses + Booting Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyd46

Hi,

I recieved a computer from my friends dad saying that he clicked one of those fake ads that look like a windows xp menu with an ok button and that downloaded the software it led him too. After doing this for a few of these ads his computer was full of virsues. I told him to bring it over and i would look at it. He brings it over today and it starts up ok so i try to run adaware. It says the defintions are 1,611 days old. I try to update that and in the middle of that i get this message saying warning! windows will shut down in 60 seconds and it just counts down to 0. Restarting the computer countless times and trying to open any folder or document exhibited this same behavior.

Therefore, i tried doing a repair install since i could not open anything without getting the timer. I put in the cd and i go to the repair thing not using the recovery console. It copies all the files however when it goes to the step to reboot and continue it now is in a constant rebooting cycle and wont stop.

If i go to safe mode i get something like setup cannot run in safe mode setup will restart and resume or something like that. I CAN get the recovery console however the password that logs into windows does not work in there, neither does a blank space, password, admin, or his name or any of his wife or kids name.

So my question is how do i get this thing to restart up so i can at least get rid of the timer and get the files on a cd then possibly wipe the computer or how can i at least reset the password to the recovery console. Thanks

ok tried doing the barts pe with this tutorial

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0reKK2ASEaU[/ame]

did everything it said then i put the cd in the infected computer

i see a blinking _ and it doesnt do anything then keeps rebooting over and over

any other suggestions?

no a _ is blinking you kno like its trying to boot from the cd then it fails and restarts it boots from the windows cd fine but the barts pe just flashes _ over and over

ok i got the barts pe to work or another version of it from here

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

i get it to boot from the cd sucessfully and using a program on there called handy recovery i see all the files the question i have now is how do i recover those files, do i put a jump drive in or what?

If you want you could get another internal SATA and use the old one for backup one your system is running or a jump drive as you said retrieve your files and format the old one to clean it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back