Windows XP Welcome Screen Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCman

Hi,
My family decieded to mess around with my computer settings today and somehow managed to get rid of the windows welcome screen, but let me explain more.

The Control Panel>User Accounts>Change the way users log on or off> Use the Welcome Screen is checked and enabled, however when the computer boots and gets to the logon, I get about 6-8 very fast dos windows the open and close with C:\windows\system32\logonui.exe at the top of the bar, so I'm guessing that that is opening them, so I went to my other computer running the same setup and went into safe mode and copied the other computers 'logonui.exe' onto this computer... same thing. I even tried downloading some online that other people had created.. only to get the same results.

Now I do feel like an ***** having to ask for help, because I can usually fix most problems on my own... but I'm stumped... Anyone?

Current OS:
Windows XP Professional SP1

This isn't a big deal... I can stil use my computer and login fine.. just would rather have my "Weclome" screen back. :)

Thanks,
Bill

Within the control panel, see if tweakui is installed- that has an autologon option.

Also, try this: Uncheck the use logon screen option, reboot. Then go back in, recheck it, reboot. See if that helps.

If you didn't have TweakUI/WinXP powertools, you can download those and examine the startup options.

Also, you can use system restore to roll settings back to the nearest checkpoint before the change was made, that can maybe eliminate the problem as well.

As a final resort, run spybot S&D, adaware, virus scanners, etc. to be sure some nasty isn't responsible.

Good luck, hope this helps. I'm sure someone can come up with a more technical method to check into things.

EDIT:

From http://fhctech.org/fhc/systems/xpcustom.htm

Autologin.
XP can be configured to start without entering a user name or password. Select Run... from the start menu and type 'control userpasswords2', to open the user accounts application. On the Users tab, clear the box for Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer, and click on OK. An Automatically Log On dialog box will appear; enter the user name and password for the account you want to use.

And a link to TweakUI for karma points:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back