TechSpot

Windows XP will get Longhorn technologies

By Phantasm66
Aug 31, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "If WinFX (including Avalon and Indigo) are going to be available for WinXP and Win2003. What is going to be the point of Longhorn?"

So wrote one developer on Microsoft's bulletin boards, and that person certainly has a good point. If Windows XP will inherit certain technologies that were originally slated only for inclusion in Longhorn, which have now been decoupled from that OS, then what is the point in Longhorn? It won't be the new haven of technological advances we were promised because WinFS will be missing (new technology file system that puts a database at the heart of the disk file system), and Avalon and Indigo will be made to be Windows XP compliant. One wonders actually what will be different about Longhorn in the end - if anything - from what Windows XP will eventually become.
  2. so, sad. it seems like longhorn in its original intended form was too much for microsoft to handle...............
  3. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

Hah, how patetic!

I bet the difference in the end will be as "large" (note the sarcasm!) as Win2K vs WinXP
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 6,504   +6

Yes it is really rather disappointing. Again, Microsoft fails to deliver on their grand promises.

Still, don't worry, I'm sure it will all be sorted out when they release Blackcomb.

;)

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

You know there was supposed to be a Windows 97? I think Microsoft just makes all of this stuff up.
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 6,504   +6

You know what, I bet Longhorn ships next year, and its called Windows 2005.

And, of course, it will be as to Windows XP as Windows XP was to Windows 2000 - basically it will look prettier.

How sad.

How sad indeed. I really thought we were going to get something new this time. Something better. How pathetic that we are not.
  6. Shnig

Shnig TS Enthusiast Posts: 175

However WinFS is only one facet of the OS.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.