Windows XP Will not boot, SAFEMODE & Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkz0r

Hello all,

Currently, My windows XP is not booting in either safemode or normal mode. In the normal bootup, it is loading to the login screen but as soon as it reaches there, the computer screen goes black. In safemode on the other hand, it just stops when the text screen comes up and wont go inside it.

Ive tried many things. Earlier, when i was able to go into safemode, I tried to run a chkdsk. It asked me if I wanted to run it again next time i started up and whenever i load now, the system runs a chkdsk just like when you restart improperly. The chkdsk, when running, goes into stage 4/5 and just stops at 93% before blacking out again.

sadly, i also have disabled system restore.

the problem happened after i started trying to resolve some spyware issues with HiJackThis. I removed some pieces and dont know if i screwed up the startup data. So when i was able to get into safemode a while earlier, i restored all of this. Now i am at the current stage where i cannot boot neither safemode or normal.

I will try my best to provide other information if it is needed. Thanks for anyhelp in advance :)

Just some basic information.
CPU: AMD 64+ 3500 - something like that
MOBO: ASUS A8V
2 dvd drives.. -.- computer wont boot up, i have it all in a file.

edit: i have already looked at this thread. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

When i try to repair, it says my hard drive was not detected. However, this was also the case when i was able to get into safemode and it IS there.

Try to boot into the recovery console using your XP CD and type fixboot. That's if you can boot into the recovery console.

Always be cautious with HiJack this. It's a powerful tool that can quickly mangle you PC (as seen here possibly).

Let me know how booting to the recovery console works and if it doesn't work, I can suggest a couple things afterwards.

Also do you remember much of what you removed with hijack this?

ugh

I cant get into recovery console right now. When i try, it states that there are no detected hard drives. I remember with Hijackthis that I removed some things that were marked as spyware. I might have removed something by mistake though =/ but i shouldve restored it all in safe mode

Try going into "setup". See if those drives are listed there, or if they are not "seen" either. Take out battery to reset bios, just in case. That's a rough one.

consider installing a 'parallel system'; boot the CD and install into a new
directory eg \windows2

ok thanks, ill try that
my only concerns are if it detects a HD or not and if its going to be easy to remove :p

yup same error "windows cannot detect a HD"

is there anyway to stop windows from resetting itself?
IE. go to the blue screen with the critical error line? i recall being able to do this last time when something happened but i forgot how to do it

You provided little info and your profile, as is usual with many posters, has nothing there as well.

What kind of drive(s), how many, set up in bios as what????

While I may not be able to help, it is a whole lot easier when you provide something to work with.

Ya know?

:)

haha sorry im relatively BAD with computers
from my bios
1st boot device is my floppy
2nd is VIA VT6420 1st HDD its my only hard drive
3rd is my DVD players

my hard drive i believe is seagate 250gig

You need to go to the Asus site and downloard the manual for your motherboard.

Then READ IT!

The A8V (don't know if it is different for the A8V Deluxe) is a bit of a early board in the Sata line so it may not support AHCI.

You probably need to install what that site says are 'Raid' drivers for the Vista chipset to get the OS install to see the drive. edit: and those are available from the Asus site - so go get the info.

ok so i downloaded the driver. so what i do is during windows setup, i press F6 and boot this from a floppy, and install the driver?
what does it mean by this

"Make sure VT6420 BIOS is executed by the system BIOS when POST"?

I have no idea - you must remember that Asus is an Oriental company and is often inscrutible.

As a guess, it means to be sure and use the F6 floppy during initial OS install boot to add the VT6420 drivers.

okay great! i can get int othe recovery console.. finally it recognizes my HD. what do i do from here? how do i get my OS fixed?

i tried the fixboot command but it didnt work. ok so now im trying the repair install and came across 2 errors but fixed them. VIAAGP something couldnt be detected so i dl'd it and put it on a floppy and used that. Also"The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library msdart.dll". I just followed these steps foudn on http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=58747

1. Press Shift+F10 to open up a DOS box
2. Type taskmgr.exe and press ENTER from the command line
3. When the task mananger opens, select the Processes tab
4. Select the unregmp2.exe and end it
5. Click the Applications tab
6. Select the error window and click End Task
7. The window will close, you can exit your DOS box, and continue installation

so right now im patiently waiting :) thanks all for ur help and ill ask if i have any other issues!

Just keep plodding - lol.

If Repair doesn't work then you need to save what you REALLY need by slaving that drive and copying then do a fresh install.

gl

yup it works! thanks for the great help. do you know anything about the Marvell drivers for ethernet? i cant connect to the internet and i think i may have to reinstall all the drivers for my computer to work now lol.

Order suggested:

Operating system
Motherboard chipset
Video
Audio
Input Drivers (if needed - eg, keyboard/mouse)
Modem (Desktop computers have a separate CD for the modem)
Network card/chipset

Connect to internet:

Service pack update(s) and all the security and other updates since the last service pack

edit: a note for you - Your registry is now chock full of details about stuff you previously had installed (programs, locations, etc) that won't really all be correct now. I recommend, now that you control, to copy any data etc you wanna save to cd and then do a clean install. You are gonna have to download all the security updates anyway and sp2 if it isn't on your cd so why not?

thanks

okay so you suggest a copy of all important files from C:\ drive, format it, then clean install?

Yes. I have always looked at Repair Install as a way to get control and save valuable data. Knowing that there WAS a problem and it could be lurking still has encouraged me to re-install. You might also look into a 0-fill before hand.

Anyway, gl and have fun.

edit: I may be wrong about the registry, but I hate having things done halfway so I reinstall anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back