windows xp wont install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just but a new hardrive and im pretty sure i put it in right and when i go to install xp it dosent load up right away so then i boot it from cd and it goes through all the beginning setup and then when all that is done it comes to a screen where it says "PRESS ENTER to install windows XP, PRESS R to repair XP and PRESS F3 to exit setup and i go to press enter and it dosent work and then i look and my keyboard isnt on. The xp disc im using is a dell recovery disc but its not the recovery disc for my computer even though my computer is a dell. can someone please help me asap!!!

what does "i go to press enter and it dosent work" mean?

Does nothing happen at all when u press enter? are u using a USB keyboard?

Does something happen and give u an error message?

My money is on usb keyboard and u didint turn on "usb keyb support" in the bios.

i got a retail disc of windows xp and it still dosent work. when i go to install windows it said their was no hard disc drives installed and i know my hardrive is properly put in

Either the hard drive is defective or your BIOS settings are incorrect. Check BIOS , if they're correct then take the hard drive back to the store and have them test it.

gimme the service tag for the PC and I'll let u knw the Soln. m a dell technician. lemme see if u have put the drive right with all the ribbon cables properly connected. is it a sata HDD or an IDE drive?

i'm guessing it's the whole usb keyboard thing too.. and u can't just "know" that your harddisk is in right and working.. doesn't look like it's a cd problem to me. also, how about try and set up your harddisk before u install windows.. partition it or something.. and ofcourse u need to make sure it's working in the first place.. if it's not detected then it's either you or it's the harddisk.

btw, try to use a bit more punctuation, so people can understand u better.

Shut down the computer, hit F2 as soon as u see dell logo on screen . b very quick as dell logo stay there for 2 seconds // go to drives , use down arrow key .hit enter ..go to primary drive 0 // chk if it is seen there or not //note down the drive name listed // If yes then again shut down restart Hit F12 at dell logo .. using down arrow key to highlight utility partition..go to custom test, hard drive , run test wait for result and lemme know if it passes or fails... note down the return code as well .. waiting

thebaronjocelin said:
Hold on a second... is your hard-drive formatted? You have to do that manually before you can install anything.

No ways XP isntalls just fine on a unpartitioned disk, there is a section in the setup where u create partitions and format them.

This is either a IDE/SATA controller set to RAID mode or the disk's master/slave jumper is wrong along with a CD drive, or the disk is just plain broken or not plugged in correctly.

I have installed fedora core 7 and it works just fine but I want to now get rid of fedora and put xp back on my computer. I lost my old windows disc so I bought a new one. I set my bios to boot from CD.

When I now start my pc, I first get a message that says:

Press any button to boot from CD

so I press a button and the screen goes blank for about a second before another message appears which says:

Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration.

Then the screen goes blank again and that's how it stays no matter how long I leave it. To make sure it wasn't the disc, I borroed a friend's disc just to check it out but it has the same result.

Any ideas what is happening and how I can fix it?

Very strange... maybe a memory problem?

I read elsewhere on a forum that on certain motherboards u need to connect your cd drives on a certain ide controller to make the operate properly, so I'd suggest swapping your hard drive and cd-rom (assuming they are on separate controllers) and see what happens

This might also be a problem with the dell partitioning of the hard drive?

Try disconnecting your drive and start with the XP setup cd until u get the message "no hard drives detected in your system" error, that will rule out ram and cd-rom.

"This might also be a problem with the dell partitioning of the hard drive?"

I agree with this statemant. Pull the hard drive and see if you can partition and format it in another computer. Replace it back into your Dell and see if it lets you install XP

on adell computer if u boot the system from CD using F12, u need to hit the spacebar instantly whn prompted to hit any key to boot from CD. it wld say setup is loading files and then u need to delete all the partitions by hitting 'D' key and then format the drive using NTFS quick, try this

first make sure the drive is in properly gimme the systm model or service tag, u'll find it on a white sticker at the back of the tower underneath the bar code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back