Windows XP wont run chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vassil3427

This is kinda puzzling me, I had a warning pop up saying one of my temporary internet files was corrupt. And then it said to run chkdsk to scan for problems. Well I did that and it said it was schedualed to do the scan the next time the pc rebooted. I rebooted, and all it said was "Volume is clean" and it continued on...never even scanned....What is going on?? This has never happened before..

Volume is clean means nothing is wrong.

If you are totally worried, repeat a chkdsk like this:

chkdsk c: /f

where c: is your system drive. Reboot and watch whilst it finds nothing wrong.

Really, I think you have no problem at all. Wait until your BIOS can't even detect the HDD before freaking out... File systems are somewhat tempremental things, and often what gets detected as a problem is in fact nothing more than the consequence of normal operation.

Actually the system is rather whacked right now...I finally got chkdsk to run, and it took forever and found many bad clusters. After restarting, I got about a thousand pop-up errors saying "HARD ERROR!" And the system totally locked....I restarted and everything seems ok for now, but I dont know what is happening...

run another chkdsk again. keep running it until its clean.

but before you do that, back up any important data if you can.

it would seem that something indeed HAS happened to you. My apologies. Its only a small glitch I think, but its happened and you have a messed up file system now. You have probably found a bug in something....

I recall something like that happening on my machine's RAID partition. I actually lost a lot of data after the chkdsk, and it seemed like the chkdsk was the one that was making the problems. Or maybe they always existed and the only way the chkdsk could solve it was by deleting stuff.

At any rate, the answer as always is clear... BACKUP ALL IMPORTANT DATA. Either burn or copy it to something, to have an additional hard drive in your system to make copies of important stuff on to.

Well looks like she's done for, the H.D.D. Health Monitor gives me a warning upon boot now "Status: BAD ,BACKUP AND REPLACE" And I was unable to boot to windows without bluescreening, I managed to repair the xp installation, however I am getting intermittent freezing...Thanks for recommending I backup file..lifesaver there...Now I just gotta figure out how to RMA this HDD, its a Western Digital 100GB Special Edition HDD...hopefully I still have a reciept...:blackeye:

I still dont understand, how did I go from a perfectly normal HDD this morning, to a dying one this evening?

Well as they say, another one bites the dust....Drive finally quit, "Disk Read Error"..Shipping it RMA tomorrow....thx Phantasm

If there is data that you cannot get back, HDD Regenerator will actually remagnetize the surface of your drive, temporarily repairing most bad sectors without data loss.

Well i think the disk is totally dead, cause you'd could hear it spinning up, then it would click off, it did this several times..then all was silent....I thankfully listened to Phat and backed up data just in the nick of time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back