Windows XP x64 Gaming snafu

Status
Not open for further replies.

teradost

I have a machine running Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

I have installed 3 games on it:
(1) King Kong (demo version)
(2) Far Cry
(3) Command and Conquer: Generals

They installed Ok without any glitches; the C&C:Generals even downloaded and installed an update. However, neither the C&C or Far Cry will play. The flash screen loads up, but freezes at that point. I've tried different methods of starting the game (d-clicking the shortcut, d-clicking the file in the Programs folder) but nothing seems to work. However, the King Kong game works just fine.

Could this be because the newer King Kong game is made to run in both 32 and 64 bit mode, while the older games were only designed for 32 bit mode? If so, would most newer games run on 64-bit mode or should I reinstall a 32-bit version of Windows XP Pro?

Thanks

Not many games have a 64-bit version. I have XP x64 too, and Far Cry works fine with the latest patch. There's also a 64-bit version with some enchantments available for Far Cry here.

I don't know about C&C, but I haven't encountered many games that didn't work in x64. One of them is Beyond Good & Evil, but that's not because of the game itself but the copy protection system.

Could you point me to the patch site. I've tried the website, but they have a disclaimer for the "cumulative patch" stating that it is only for the 32 bit editions.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back