windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayesey

i have windows 98 at the moment and am thinking about getting windows xp, do i have to have my own copy or can i just borrow one off my friend and use his code and installation disk?

I'm not sure if you would get past the product activation using the same copy.

Besides which, in allowing you, your frind would be breaking the terms and conditions set out in the EULA, and on your part, doing so would be stealing. (I know Mr. Gates can afford it, but it's stealing none the less!). Your friend doesn't own a copy of the operating system, he only owns a licence to use it on ONE MACHINE ONLY, and must get rid of all traces of it on his system before passing/selling the LICENCE to somebody else.

if you are getting windows xp, you should get your own copy. if you share the same product key with windows xp, when you have to activate it within 30 days, that product key will probably be invalid since you and your friends computer may have different components. you can probably find a tool on the internet that will break product activation but that would most likely not allow you to get updates.

since you say you got windows 98, i suggest that you buy the upgrade version of windows xp home or pro instead of the full version to save some money. if you are a student at a college, get the academic version of windows xp. i got my windows xp pro upgrade academic for $20 cheaper than windows xp home upgrade at newegg.com, so you should check it out.

you should do a clean installation of windows xp (remember to backup your important data) as problems may arrive if you install over your previous windows 98 installation. during the windows xp installation, it will ask you for your windows 98 cd. pop in the windows 98 cd, follow the instructions on screen and it should work out.

Unless of course you are planning to dual boot xp/98, in wich case, leave 98 on there and install XP on a different partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back