WindowsXP 64-bit Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SturmteK

Hello Friends.
Can anyone tell me where can I pick up a copy of Windows XP 64-bit Edition in Canada, without ordering it online.
Would the local software stores carry it, or would they have copys when you buy a 64-bit processor based system from a computer store?

Currently, it's still in beta mode. If you register for it HERE , you may be able to get it by cd or download. This is a one-year trial.

Some time next year (according to what I heard in a computer store today), but no idea when next year.

And you have to remember that this is Microsoft we're talking about, so the might become 2006 before they release it...

So I would guess that standard WindowsXP Home/Pro will work on a AMD 64 bit based system just as good?

xp and xp 64 on amd64

In my humble opinion....

Yes you can load both xp pro and xp pro 64 on a pc with an amd64 processor. However, I wouldn't say that either one is "just as good".

In my case the 64 version loaded easily on a seperate hard drive. (I did this because I did not want to risk my stuff on my regular drive with XP PRO.) However, my printer is an epson stylus cx6400. I have yet to find a 64 bit driver for the printer. As such the XP PRO 64 is of little value. When it comes to an operating system in my house that answer is clear "No Printer?" "NO WAY!!!"

Another major issue with xp pro 64 is the lack of antivirus and firewall support. Anyone who opens a network connection without that is an ***** and should box their computer up and send it back to the factory. They are obviously too dumb to use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back