Winlogon.exe Virus win32/PEPatch.al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadof3

my wifes computer is non-operable due to a Winlogon.exe virus. The computer was left on overnight and when we came to it in the morning, it was going through a series of loggon and log-offs all by itself. Each logon sequence would end with a Fatal System error (on a blue screen) and then it would restart.... I shut off the computer and restarted it in safe mode and ran AVG Anti Virus. It ran for 48 min and identified Winlogon.exe virus described as Win32/PEPatch.AL. it was still running the antivirus when the computer rebooted all by itself and began the sequence as described earlier. Now, I cannot logon in safe mode (it goes through the reboot sequence). I do have a Dell Resouce disk that is Windows 2000 Setup. When booted from the CD drive, it allows me to either set-up Windows or Repair Windows. When I run repair windows, it offers me a Console repair options that brings me to the C:\WINNT> Is there anything that can be done to resolve this? We cannot loose the information stored on that computer as it is critical (now understanding the significance of backing up !!). I appreciate your help.

Hi,

Important: Please read this thread HERE before you decide whether to clean or reformat your system.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps to cleaning your computer. The thread provides a comprehensive mix of steps to remove common malware, as well as provide us logs of your system to look at so we can further remove any tricky nasties.
Do follow all the instructions exactly.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste if not it will be ignored and/or removed by the moderators.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

This thread is for the use of Dadof3 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back