WinMX & DirectCD no longer works in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwnewson

Hi. I recently upgraded to Windows XP and most of my programs still work just fine, but two in specific do not.

1) WINMX - I have been using WinMX 3.53 (latest version) for several months with no problems. I have always connected with a secondary connection. The upgrade to WinXP has rendered it non-functional. I connect no problem, I get the green CONNECTED box and everything... I can also search no problem and get lots of results. But when I start the transfer, it never actually downloads anything. Each file remains "yellow" in the transfer window indicating it is trying to connect to the user... and eventually it gives up and goes red. It just doesn't download.... even with over a hundred users available!

2) DIRECTCD - Yes I know, Easy CD Creator v. 5.0 does not work in Windows XP. The update is at the Roxio website but it requires your registration and I'm afraid I "lost" my CD key... Does anyone know of any other software out there that can burn audio and data CDs? Preferably without the exchange of currency? If I do have to pay, which software is best these days? Stick with Roxio, or Nero, or what?

THANKS GUYS! I appreciate any help you can provide.

For the first problem, check to see if the Windows firewall is enabled. This may be why it isn't working. However, don't disable this if you aren't behind a router of some sort or don't have another software firewall running.

For the second problem, I believe nero has a "gimped" version of Nero on their site, at the very least they have a demo. That can get you by for now. I'm not sure about free windows software, I'm a linux guy, but it's worth a shot.

If you are like I am and are lacking in the "technical skills" department, but at the same time, miss using WinMX, there is a quick, easy and free solution it is called MXPIE. There is no spyware or anything else bundled with it. For those a little more savvy and courageous, there is even a manual option.

So come on back to WinMX, and download to your hearts content. Thanks to these updates, not even the power of the RIAA can stop a network.

IF you have downloaded WinMX and still cannot connect, you can even get personalized realtime help. Just go to this link WinMX Channels Copy the Room name appropriate for your Language and paste it into your WinMX chat screen, then press the Join Button. This works on version 3.53 and up even if you are not connected. It allows you to join into chatrooms set up for you to get immediate help.

Everything you need at the MXPIE Website Free and Spyware free.

I have also found a site for Computer problem that is nice, prompt and VERY helpful. If there is a problem you need an answer to, they can help.

Realtime help available for WinMX 3.53 users having trouble getting connected. Go to WinMX Channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back