Winrar - CRC failed error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am facing some strange problem.
I am using winrar to extract files downloaded from net.While extracting it shows error "crc failed in filename.The file is corrupt."It happens every time. :rolleyes:

But same file transfered to friends pc and extracted without any error.
What can be the problem?
I am fed up because eveytime downloaded data requires to be transferred for extraction and again to take it back. :mad:
Help plz!!!!

CRC Error

Hello Everyone. I had the same problem with CRC errors in Rar files. I went to google and found a solution after several frustrating hours. I tried repairing with Winrar and other commercial software. Nada. My solution was to ignore the errors. What you do is go to Winrar in the Start Menu. In winrar you click File > open and then select the files you want to unrar. Then you click the "extract to" icon and check the box that says "Keep Broken Files" under miscellaneous. Any CRC error windows that show up during the extraction you ignore/close. The resulting file worked just fine.

Sometimes your download is corrupted and you just have to try again. The above solution often appears to work for a time but then the actual file that was corrupted is used and then you get crashes, shutdowns generally evil problems.

One question I have on this is it just that one file or every file doing it. If it is just the one then I more lean towards a corrupted download.

The problem in not in the file, but in WinRar itself:
From WinRar support:
When I install WinRAR I get CRC errors and it won't install.:

You have downloaded a damaged archive or you have not downloaded the whole archive. Please try downloading WinRAR again from https://www.techspot.com/downloads/67-winrar.html.

Sometimes an antivirus tool can also be the reason.
Please disable the auto-protection of your antivirus tool or exit your antivirus tool and try installing WinRAR again.

http://www.win-rar.com/index.php?id=24&kb=1&kb_article_id=19

BiggestFish , I hope this will resolve your problem.

use 7z to try and extract. IF you have errors with that also, test your ram with memtest 86+ booted from a floppy or cd for at least 7 passes. Do this only if the file is known to be good.

I got this error before, I was pretty sure my download was fine, but I redownloaded it. Same problem. So I just deleted it and forgot about the problem, then a few days later it happened again with a different download.

I then got a newer version of WinRAR and all is well. So try that if you have an old copy of WinRAR.

7Z will handle rar files.... but you might be right - he may have an older version of winrar.

if you get the latest version of winrar and it still doesn't work, try downloading winzip, that can handle .rar files now

Hello. It is nice to see people responding. I will answer everyone.

RomulusJ: Yes the download is probably corrupted. It was 2 rar files that were corrupted. When I downloaded them again they were still corrupted. You say if I ignore errors I will get crashes. Well my rar files were for a dvd movie. On one of the movies, I got a little glitch for 1 second. That may be due to ignoring the CRC errors. However, it was still easily viewable and it was only for one second. On the other rar downloads with the same CRC errors, I didn't see any glitches or other problems.

Bobbye: You are mistaken. It says "when I install Winrar", it is support for crc error while installing winrar. i already installed winrar. I am just having problems extracting winrar files.

Tedster: Yes I already tried 7z. In fact, I practically tried everything. As for testing RAM, well, when i redownloaded I still had errors on the same 2 files. I would find it to be unlikely that it is a problem on my end. Memory errors, possible but unlikely...

SNGX1275: Get a new copy of winrar? I already have 3.70 beta 2. If I got 3.71 would it be better? I don't know. Interestingly, on another website it said try older copies of winrar. That didn't work... I don't think there is a significant difference between 3.70 and 3.71.

Daveskater: Try winzip? Now that is something I did not try. I didn't know it now supports rar. Worth a shot.

Guys. Thanks for all the input. Let me know what you think. I however know that ignoring the errors is good advice, which I do not see on much of the internet.

If you have 3.70 beta 2, it probably is worth 3.71, since that isn't beta. I thought you had resolved it by just ignoring broken files?

This is a long shot, but you aren't extracting something large like a dvd iso to a FAT32 partition are you?

When you tag on to question started by someone else and say " I had the same problem with CRC errors in Rar files" you're going to get that information. I left references for my reply which was based on the information given.

The user always has the option of using help or not.

Winrar Problem

Yes. I already resolved my problem, in case anyone is wondering.
SNGX1275: I will update my Winrar and see if it makes a difference. I have no idea how to extract to FAT32. I am running Windows XP. How would I know if I am extracting to FAT32?
And Bobbye: I am sorry. I thought you were talking to me. My apologies.

I don't know if it will fix your problem, but I also don't know why you are so reluctant to upgrade. You are running a beta and then are complaining about problems - the obvious thing to do in this situation is to not use the piece of beta software anymore.

I think you aren't understanding my bit about FAT32 at all. FAT32 is a file system rarely used outside of flash devices and Windows9x computers. You probably don't have this as an issue because you are running XP. You also completely ignored my bit about a 1 large file over 4 gigs, so not only is there your confusion about what is wrong, but you aren't helping us out by failing to acknowledge other important details in the questions asked. The whole FAT32 part is irrevelant if you aren't dealing with single files over 4 gigs. You wouldn't even have to know what FAT32 is or 'how to extract to it' if you'd just have said you weren't using files that big, if you were, then I'd tell you right now to extract them to an NTFS partition and your problem would be solved.

The chances of getting a problem solved around here are directly proportional to the quality of the question asked.

I give a hearty thumbs up to ALZip as well. :grinthumb

It's free, handles a long list of compressed file types, presents an easy and visually appealing user interface and good product functionality.

I.e. It's nice. :approve:

End of my 2 cents worth.

HI,

I have the same problem except a few things...
I am using Windos Vista with Sp1 an my problem is when I runs the SVF file I get 40 crc error of 90 files and when I restart my pc I runs it again and I get ONLY 5 CRC errors :/

I tried to downoad all files at 3 times and its always happening i Tried to download the newest winrar and its worked just only one time and later it do the same problem, so I dont know what is the promblem:S please help!

THX

Why don't you just try a different tool (like ALZip, the link is already in my post)

At least you might see if it's the tool, or the file or whatever.

and ALZip is freeware.

I had this problem too.I examined all of this ways but ...
I downloaded 6 parts of a RAR file from RaphidShare. when i wanted to Extract them, this message was appeared. Then after researching i found this way:
At first you must download and install "Total Commander" software(it is about 3 or 4 MB). then combine your files(FILE | Combine command). you obtain a file with .out extension. Then change it to .RAR and extract it.

I think this error means that there are some kind of problems with the system. I extracted it on my desktop just fine, then went to extract it on a laptop and have received this error with every attempted version of winRar. I had WinRar on this laptop before, and didn't have any problems. Yes trying a different extraction file will probably work, but that doesn't alleviate whatever was causing the issue with WinRar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back