Winword exe process does not close after closing word 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstoned

I have looked everywhere can't find answer to this one
I open word doc do some editing close it later open again to read white papers or what ever again close it again
in process task manager I get up to 4 winword exe 's running at same time
I have tried to change priority to low does not help
can't find it in services
I can end process's OK but it is starting to be a headache as my process's for the day adds up don't want it to start affecting my machine

45 process's ticking away now cpu up to 20%

thank you
Regards
SS

There are a few things you can look into.
In the Start/Programs/Startup folder is probably an entry with a small flag and Microsoft Office. Delete that entry. (this is a process also known as OSA9.EXE for Office2K, or OSA10.EXE for OfficeXP). If you have the Binder program running, stop that as well.
Next, Stop the Indexing Service under Computer Management, and set it to Disabled, it will make your PC faster.
Another influence could be the Office plug-in from Norton/Symantec antivirus. This unnecessarily delays opening/closing of any office files. UN-tick it somewhere in the NAV-settings. Other AV-programs have something similar. Even when you disable it, the AV will still check office-attachments in emails (which is all it needs to do).
When you open a .doc file, the WINWORD.EXE will show up in the Process list of task-manager, and the Document-name will show up under Applications.
Opening a second .doc will (should) only open up another Application in task-manager, but should not open a second instance of Word.
If that is the case, there is something wrong in the Office settings, and an Office-repair should do the trick. Click on Add/Remove programs, select Office 2000, click on "support information", in there a button "Repair" will show up.
HTH

RealBlackStuff
I tried to edit out that file
all other suggestions where already in place after edit of EXE word would open then shut down ,even after replacing the file ended up by adding SPK 3 to repair that seemed to do the trick
I now open and close all related office programs and in process's window they all close.I think my AV must have changed a reg key to cause this to happen
Regards
SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back