Winxp freeze at install asrock k7vtz

Status
Not open for further replies.

salviablue

winxp freeze at install asrock k7vt2

Could any one please help. I have looked through various info and help threads and pages to no avail. I have an AMD Athlon 2400 XP+ on an ASRock K7VT2 and it was running fine on win2000, but due to some new software i ascertained i needed to update OS to winXP. So i first tried to install over the top of 2000 to the tune of a windows freeze at the "now starting windows XP" stage. So i formatted the harddrive and did a fresh install, everything seemed to go well right up to the "now starting windows" bit were the copmuter freezes. The nums cap light stays on with no other keyboard responses, even after switching off the computer the numcap light stays on! The previous owner said they never had much joy at trying to update to winXP, but i thought i would have a go since i have a few computers that need to be independantly bootable but running on the same OS for ease of networking . What am i doing wrong?

Do you have any USB devices attached, those quite often cause xp and vista install freezes.
cheers
hynesy:wave:

Still no joy!

I have stripped the computer down to the bare bones and it still gets to the same place of copying files ok but then "setup is now starting windows" and freezes. This is driving me nuts!

When you formatted did you do a full format, including wiping out any and all partitions? Sounds like your old MBR is still there from Win2000.
A full format and a delete of all partitions 1st will clear it off.

Still no joy!

I have chkdsk`d, deleted existing active partition, created a new one and formatted it. Window installs upto the "setup is now starting windows" at which point an ice age begins for my computer!?:confused:
any more ideas?

You might have to upgrade the BIOS to run XP, but maybe you could try resetting the CMOS (by jumper) or just go into the BIOS menu on boot-up and load fail safe defaults.

updating the bios

Thanks for the continuing support, i will try loading the cmos fail safe default. If that were to fail then how would i go about updating the bios? It may sound daft but its one thing i havent done before in my years of DIY computer fixing/breaking/fixing!:wave:

Well here's the K7VT2 mobo page at AsRock website.

Read the instructions about how to flash the BIOS and you might also want to download the VIA drivers near the top of the section.

Cheers.

trying install again

i have manually cleared the cmos (jumper) and just hope ive done it right (as per instructions!). just before i checked back here i stumbled across the ASROCK website ( after a few failed previous attempts, woods for the trees probably) and just downloaded said info/drivers. Just waiting for another windows install attempt to fail (most likely). I will be back! Thanks for the info anyway.;)

install failed again

Keeps freezing at the same spot! "setup will now start windows" and crash! I cant update the via chip thing as the UPDATE software from the asrock website "cannot be run in DOS mode"!!:bounce: ???? I have even tried different hard drives to the same results! something on the motherboard musnt be compatible with winXP, but if so why hasnt anybody else seeming to be having troubles?

still cant get winxp on comp

anybody with any more ideas please? This is the best comp i have got (not top of the range i know but until my fortunes change, the one that i need most and to make the most of!) and need it to run winxp so any more ideas for me to try would be amazingly fantastic.

salviablue said:
Keeps freezing at the same spot! "setup will now start windows" and crash! I cant update the via chip thing as the UPDATE software from the asrock website "cannot be run in DOS mode"!!:bounce: ???? I have even tried different hard drives to the same results! something on the motherboard musnt be compatible with winXP, but if so why hasnt anybody else seeming to be having troubles?

Yes the VIA chip drivers will only install in Windows environment, but the BIOS flash utility is only DOS environment. Have you had any success updating the BIOS using the ASRock utility in DOS yet? I'm pretty sure you need to update your BIOS before you have any chance of getting XP to install on that mobo.

After XP installs (hopefully) you can then update the VIA chipset drivers.
How much RAM do you have on this thing????

bios updated, still no joy

Thanks for the continuing support!
Yes i managed to update the Bios succesfully and the comp still freezes at "setup is now starting windows". Although i did just recently noticed some bad RAM (page fault error blue screen whatsits), there use to be RAM showing on both slots (512MB and 128MB) in the bios setup and now only 128MB is showing! Ihave swapped the RAM around and the 512MB seems to be dead, bugger! The next biggest spare RAM i have is 128MB (in PC133MHz) so i stuck that in and it is showing in the bios cmos setup berduberry, good.
I have since tried deleting HDD partition, recreating partition, formatting partition, install.
Del partition, recreate partition, install.
Each leaves me with a crashed computer, 99% of the time at the "setup now starting windows" phase!?!?!?!?!?!?
I wonder if i may be able to boot up into windows from network. I have one other computer running XP but is a PIII 1ghz 320mb RAM w/network card and crossover cable. The AMD machine has built in networking. If so, could someone point me towards a good tutorial please.
Any avenue to success will be considered, that is that doesnt involve buying a new computer or more than £50 worth of stuff! Cheers again.

more info?

I have since been informed that the most likely reason for the problems is bad cache, either in the HDD or mobo? I have yet to try a new HDD but i hope that the MOBO is OK! Any one think this may be the problem (ie. anyone had anything similar?)

Sorted

I dont actually know what the problem was, motherboard, mobo cache or over heating cpu but i just got another mobo! I found out the cpu was running around 65 deg C which is apparently a tad warm! I bought a soltek 75kav and a thermaltake polo 735 heatsink both for £32 and installed winxp first time, no problems! Max cpu temp now 40 deg C, alittle better! Thanks for all the suggestions anyway.
Incedently, the ASRock K7VT2 will no longer run win2000 but will run win98!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back