WinXp Home high CPU usage when there are multiple users logged on.

By templar
Nov 29, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi.

Can anybody give me any suggestions. I have a new Intel P4 HT 3.0 Ghz with WinXP home system. I notice that whenever there are more than 1 user logged on, the CPU usage jumps to 50 to 60%. System Idle time is at 99%. I have checked for any virii or adware installed and found none. (Used Spybot S&D and Ad-aware 6.0)

Curious that it only happens when multiple users are logged on. If it's just 1 user, CPU cycle is at 1%. Could this be normal since WinXP is resource intensive?

Thanks.

I see this happening even though there are no apps running on both users.

Thanks again
  2. templar

templar Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

ignore this

I was able to solve the problem so just ignore this thread.

Thanks.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,477   +292

Care to enlighten us on what you did to resolve it?
  4. templar

templar Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

it' weird...

I found a process running (wincomm.exe) and uninstalled it after I found out that this process was a known spyware.

Everyone was talking about using ad-aware SE so I installed it and removed ad-aware 6.0. Ad-aware Se found 165 more spyware that was infecting my machine and after it was removed...everything ran fine.

Funny thing was that I thought Ad-aware 6.0 and Spybot would fix everything. I made sure that all of my anti-spyware program had up-to-date registers, but that didn't seem to fix it except for ad-aware SE.

:D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.