WinXP - Multiple local area connection icons appearing in the systray

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolios

My internet connection is working fine. I have the checkbox for don't display whether connection is connected or having problems. But something weird is going on. After I come back to the computer after a while, there are multiple local area connection icons in the systray indicating that there is a cable unplugged. But my internet is working and I can't find any other local connections in network places. The other weird thing happening with those little icons in the systray is that when I try to hover over them with the mouse to right click on them to see where they are coming from, they vanish as soon as I hover over them. There will be a row from 2 - 6 of them, they al vanish as I hover across the lot of them.

What is going on?

this behaviour of try icons usually happens when their 'source' got updated or renewed. for example mcafee vscan updates itself from time to time depending on the settings. the old tray icon stays striked through and a new one appears. when you try to hover the old one it will disappear.
in your case with network connections its weird indeed. the only conclusive explanation would be that the network connection got lost and was renewed a couple of times. maybe the screensaver was active? so that the desktop, taskbar and tray were not refreshed. you could check the event log for network errors and try to find updated drivers for the network card.
I don't think you have troubles with viruses or any malicious software but do a full scan with a good and uptodate scanner. maybe try mcafee stinger or rootkit detective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back