WinXP needs Win98 CD to boot!?

By samc
Apr 4, 2005
  1. Hello.

Before I begin, my computer specs...

256Mb RAM,
    40Gb HDD and
    AMD Athlon 1.5Ghz.

I have recently had to format my computer. I am, was, running WinXP.
    I used my Win98 StartUp disk to exit to DOS and then formatted C:
    I reinstalled Win98, then upgraded to WinXP.
    Everything is running fine except that I now need the Win98 CD in to boot otherwise I recieve the message...

Boot from CD:
    Boot from CD:
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

What the smeg is going on?
    I've tried changing the boot order in BIOS from CD to Floppy to HDD-0, -1 and -2 and back again but that doesn't seem to help.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Sam.

2. triplate

triplate TS Rookie Posts: 134

Check the boot.ini...i,ll bet its wrong...;)

3. samc

samc TS Rookie Topic Starter

OK found the boot.ini file. It reads...

[boot loader]
    time out = 30
    default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating system]
    default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I haven't a clue what it should say.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers again.
    Sam.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

I'm not sure why it would be giving you problems. That boot.ini looks correct for the way most people have their comps set up.

What I must ask though is why did you install 98 and then upgrade? You can install XP without a previous OS installed even if its an Upgrade version of XP. At some point in the install it will ask you to prove you have a copy of windows that is eligible for XP to upgrade from. When that happens, you just put in your 98 install cd and all is well.

I guess you wouldn't be able to do this though if you have a branded comp that has 'restore' disks rather than a real 98 cd.

You can download the XP boot floppys, there are 6 of them. Or you can boot with your 98 floppy, then insert your 98 cd and install smartdrv.exe. I believe its in the root dir of the cd, so its like d:\smartdrv.exe. Then once thats installed (it doesn't pop up anything, it just goes back to the prompt) you can put in your XP cd and go to D:\I386\winnt.exe to begin the XP install.

5. samc

samc TS Rookie Topic Starter

I can't get/be arsed to get into DOS anymore for some reason but i think I'll just put up with having to have the Win98 CD into boot.

Cheers again for all your help.
    Sam.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.