TechSpot

WinXP Pro Login = Logout loop

By BBoW
Mar 9, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys,

Last night I must have clicked on a dodgy link and activated something. Computer was fine last night, left it on overnight (internet connected) and this morning there were lots of popups and various other spyware/malware installations captions.

I tried to close them but no luck. Did a restart and the popups started appearing again.

Ran AntiVir followed by AdAware. AntivIR found over 2000!!! alerts and stupid me selected the "delete - and every subsequent detection" option during the scan. This must have deleted some essential files.

Upon restart I now get stuck during the Login stage into windows.
    I try logging in, but a few seconds later it says "saving your settings" followed by "logging out" and I'm back at the Login caption.

I tried finding a sollution on these forums and did the boot with the XP Pro CD. This started installing a new XP on the drive, I never had a chance to select Recovery. I did not want to mess things up by interupting the install, so I let it finnish. The situation I find myself now in is as follows:

2 XP installations on the same partition. 1 let's me login and works fine (this would be the new installation), and I can find all the files that are on the computer but I would need to reinstall everything to make it work properly. The other XP is the one that keeps looping during login. The interesting things is that if I leave the login caption for a few minutes I can hear music/news readouts. This would probably be from a popup that's working in the background.

I would really like to get the old XP installation to work again and uninstall the new installation. Does anybody here know how?

Many thanks,

Bbow

PS: it's WinXP Pro SP3 (new install is clean XP, no SP)
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,060   +84 Staff Member

Can you access the old copy of XP in Safe Mode? Might be able to scan/recover your XP partition by scanning it with anti-malware apps on your new installation.
  3. BBoW

BBoW TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Hi Zenosincks,

Nope, when I try safemode I get the same login-logout loop problem.
    Haven't tried scanning the HD yet, will give it a go.
  4. BBoW

BBoW TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Just to give more info and hoping that someone out there knows what to do...

2nd XP is installed in Partition D: , 1st XP (the faulty one) is installed on C:.

I have tried expanding userinit.ex_ from the XP CD to C:\Windows\system32 but this hasn't made any difference, still the same problem.

I scanned the C:\windows folder with CC Cleaner but it wants to delete the WHOLE folder, so no luck with that.

Any ideas what else I could try? Adaware perhaps? Malware remover?

The good thing is I haven't lost any files so far....I think.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.