WinXP Pro Upgrade will not recognixe CD-Rom

By Machinist
Mar 19, 2006
  1. I just upgraded fron W2k to WXP pro now when i go to my computer and device manager it will not recognize my cd-rom. And cd'd will not run at all. Please Help Me Im going nuts trying to figure this out.

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

Are you totally certain it`s not hiding in the device manager ?
    Even if it`s got a problem,it should be listed somewhere.
    If you find it,uninstall/remove it.Also,uninstall any CD sofware from Add/remove progs or wherever.Then restart computer.If you`ve got a CD with drivers for the drive,use them.
    If you can`t find anything in the device manager,I can only think it might be a cable/connector/jumper problem.
  3. Machinist

Machinist TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

Thanks for the reply, I searched through the device manager and could not find anywhere. I do not have ant discs because it was pre installed when i ordered the computer from MWave. It is a lite on cd rom. when i tried to update the driver it showed missing file viaide.sys if that is any help to you.

4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

WHAT showed missing file...?

You can get a version of that file here - Exactly what it is and why you should need it for the CD,I`m not sure.
  5. Machinist

Machinist TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

Thanks that did the trick :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.