Winxp pro w/sp2, norton2k5 IE AV, taking waaay to long to shutdown, like 5 to 10 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly as the title says, my computer just recently is taking a hella long time to shutdown, it only began a few days ago and its been doing it ever since, 5 to 10 mins after i press the shutdown button in windows and then it will shut off, i haven't installed any new apps or any games, i haven't done anything special to my computer in respects to hardware either, its just bugging the hell out of me, i've already modified my system startup in the msconfig, and not that many things are starting up on the startup and there isn't any odd programs running in the background when i press crtl+alt+del before i shutdown, please help! so confused!

Have you done the obvious, such as cleaning the Temp and temp.Internet directories, done a chkdsk and a defrag?
If you use Zonealarm, exit that program before you log off/shut down. The same goes for your Antivirus program.
Check the Application- and System-logs in the Event Viewer under Computer Management. Any Red or Yellow marks?

yea, thank you! the computer management thing has some yellow warning lights, although i'm quite confused what to do next, it says:

Windows saved user STUFF\Joseph registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

SOooo, i see that it says to do something on that last line, but how do i do that?? :confused: The source says its Userenv, and there are two events that are basically the same with an error, one from the system and one from my winxp account, I don't know if it matters, but the Event ID for the system is 1517, and the other is 1524, i'll try to do this on my own, although that'll probably take awhile and i don't exactly have allot of time:( hw!! er!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back