TechSpot

WinXP SP2 gets its first patch

By Julio Franco
Aug 20, 2004
  1. Shortly after Service Pack 2 release, Microsoft has issued a new 'hotfix' patch that fixes a problem created by SP2 for some users connecting to virtual private networks. The good news they say, is that the flaw shouldn't affect everyone however this gives a good hint once again that no software is perfect and eventually more patches will be needed, on a fashion that developers and analysts say are "just a fact of PC life".

"So if you're looking for Windows XP SP2 to solve all present and future problems, keep dreaming. Meanwhile, though, only a tiny fraction of Windows XP users will need to get the new hotfix, released earlier this week not long after SP2 became available. A hotfix is a patch that addresses a specific problem, usually for only one or a few customers, and is not generally distributed to the vast majority of users."

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

YAY!!!
    I've posted about this before (long time ago) about SP1 breaking the VPN on my computer. I read on some microsoft message board that it was a known issue and it would be fixed by SP2, but they would not be releasing a patch before SP2 because not many people are affected by it (VPN works fine for some people with SP1 and not others). Well I downloaded from microsoft SP2RC something and was disheartened to see that the VPN problem wasn't resolved.
    After I installed SP1 and saw it broke it I uninstalled and I've been using XP without SP1 (or sp2) since. Now it appears I can finally get my OS as up to date as possible.
    If I remember I'll post back after I get sp2 installed and patched with an update.

3. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 467

No wonder why VPN didn't work on my friend's WinXP SP1. I wonder if this fix will work right.

4. SNGX1275

Well I've hit a minor setback, the network install of SP2 that I burned is corrupt (I blame it on a crappy cdr) so it will be Monday at the earliest that I can try this.

5. SNGX1275

Ok well that hotfix is just like the crap I ran into over a year ago with SP1. There is nothing downloadable about it, and it doesn't appear on windowsupdate. It just sends you to a page to contact Microsoft.

And for my update, I reformatted and installed, and figured I'd give SP1 a shot again since I had their feb 2004 security update cd laying around, I did that, set up the vpn and all was good (VPN worked).

In the meantime I had ordered SP2 on cd, that came in today so I reformatted again and installed XP then immediately put on SP2. Then I set up the VPN, it connects, but it does nothing, no communication occurs through it. So its broke again, and I can't even dl the hotfix.

This pisses me off.

6. SNGX1275

Somebody on the forums (a guy that only posted a few times in one of my VPN threads, maybe didn't post at all???) sent me a PM, and then subsequent emails on how he fixed it, it involved replacing a couple files and turning off that thing that keeps you from doing that.

UNFORTUNATELY he sent them to my fidnet.com email address, and when I moved my ISP killed that account literally minutes after I left their office. I had forgotten to get those emails, now they are lost :(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.