WinXP SP2 Keeps Freezing/Hanging. PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddmr2

Hi.. My computer has been intermittantly freezing for no apparent reason at no particular time.. Could be 2 mins after boot or 2 hours or never. But it does it OFTEN. The mouse just freezes, and no Keys work. I have to reset the computer and reboot. I have NO virus', spyware, malware, trojans, etc.. ALL of my device drivers are working and up to date per www.driveragent.com. Ive tried a repair with the XP CD and also tried the scannow /sfc option. Still NOTHING.

I went in to my event viewer and it seems that just at the time that it freezes, i check and there are errrors in the system log. They include the following. They are always the same 4 errors! Im not sure if the following is causing this to happen, but these ALWAYS are the errors when it crashes.

Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 11/19/2006
Time: 8:44:57 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
kl1
klmc

Event Source: WMPNetworkSvc
Event ID: 14325
Time: 8:44:55 AM
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because QueryService encountered error '0x80004002'. In Windows Media Player, turn off media sharing, and then turn it back on.

Event ID: 7000
Time: 8:44:54 AM
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The World Wide Web Publishing service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

Event ID: 7000
Time: 8:44:53 AM
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The KLIF driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

More serious than I thought?

Boot into safe mode firstly, does event viewer show any errors?

If not, try the following:

Go to START - RUN - type: MSCONFIG - select the BOOT.INI tab and add the /SOS switch. Also while you are in there, go through the STARTUP and SERVICES tab and disable any non-standard services (you don't need them to be running on normal boot).

Boot normally after this, checking if your PC hangs through boot on any particular drivers. If you get in successfully, check event viewer again to see if errors exist. If not, one by one enable startups and services again, monitoring after reboot each time in event viewer.

It could be software related, thats what these tests will determine. If its not software I can guide you further through hardware troubleshooting.

Let us know how you go :grinthumb

Thanks for the Advice Mike.. Still problems!!

mikescorpio81 said:
Boot into safe mode firstly, does event viewer show any errors?

If not, try the following:

Go to START - RUN - type: MSCONFIG - select the BOOT.INI tab and add the /SOS switch. Also while you are in there, go through the STARTUP and SERVICES tab and disable any non-standard services (you don't need them to be running on normal boot).

Boot normally after this, checking if your PC hangs through boot on any particular drivers. If you get in successfully, check event viewer again to see if errors exist. If not, one by one enable startups and services again, monitoring after reboot each time in event viewer.

It could be software related, thats what these tests will determine. If its not software I can guide you further through hardware troubleshooting.

Let us know how you go :grinthumb

Hey.. I tried doing what you said.. Safe mode didnt "SEEM" to show any errors. I also went into the BOOT.INI file and checked the /SOS switch. I wasnt too sure what you meant thought about disabling and of the the "non-standard" services. Could you explain in more detail what that means. In my startup tab, i keep that clean as a whistle. I only have my bitdefender and my counterspy "av software" checked in the startup items. I dont run a lot of JUNK in the background as I hate slow boots, wasted memory, even thought i have 2 gig's, and just a bunch of useless icons in the taskbar.

Just to let u know. The problem seems to happen MOSTLY, but not always, when I am using the internet (cable modem through vonage router, hardwired). I am currently using IE6, I upgraded to IE7 the FINAL release, but still same chit. I also have FIREFOX, that I love, but even if im using that, It keeps happening. The one other problem that I cannot fix on this stupid machine is that about 5-6 months ago, I installed Microsoft Office 2007 (beta). I did not include ms outlook in the instal. I seemed to work fine for months. I also kept my "old" office xp Pro on the puter as well.. NOW I cannot in any way, safemode or not, UNINSTALL the stupid 2007 beta version, it is still all over my puter, but doesnt work. Its in add/remove, but I get an errror each time I try to uninstall.. As a final attempt, I deleted anything I could find in program files and elsewhere that had to do with 2007 (beta) but....Nadda. I uninstalled the office xp pro, and that uninstalled fine! The worst part is that I keep getting the installation wizard popping up on my screen when I open cetain programs, that try to install "Microsoft Office Outlook MUI (english) 2007 (beta).. I just have to click cancel about 5 times to get it to go away. If I let it continue to try to install, it askes for files that I dont know where they are. Ive already started from scratch about 5 times with a fresh XP install over the past 8-10 years with different puters, but dont want to go through the tourture of doing it to this one! I have toooooo much important stuff on here and backing it all up would take me days.

OK..Im really rambling. If you (or anybody) has any ideas, PLEASE feel free to let me in on them.. No matter how stupid they may be! Could be something Ive overlooked. Im no puter GEEK, but I have been using and building my own pc's for about 11 years now.

Thanks for the help! and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Nothing Is Working....!??????????

Ive tried everything.. pulled puter apart, took out 3rd stick of "unmatching" ram, set bios to "safe defaults" yada yada.. but it still freezes intermittantly!. I did however manage to uninstall Office 2007 beta after about 3 hours of following a neat guide I found on google.

Anybody with any insight, please help.

Thank You

The kl* files listed in the event viewer from your first post belong to Kaspersky Anti Virus. For some reason it's still set to be loaded but the files can't be found. Have you tried to uninstall it?

peterdiva said:
The kl* files listed in the event viewer from your first post belong to Kaspersky Anti Virus. For some reason it's still set to be loaded but the files can't be found. Have you tried to uninstall it?

Hello once again.. Thanks for pointing that out. I dont think Kaspersky was running on my computer, but the Kl was one of the "non Plug and Play" devices that were listed in my device manager with yellow !'s with them. I got rid of all Kaspersky in my puter and registry and I "THINK" i might have solved the problem. In device manager i "unhid" the hidden devices. Under NON PLUG AND PLAY, there were the 3 things that were showing up in the event viewer. They all had the yellow !'s next to them. There is no way to see the driver, or update the driver, so I just uninstalled them. So far, been on for about 3 hours and it hasnt frozen yet!! I dont know exactly what they were, but from what I read from another post, that gave me the idea, some guy did the same thing and never had another problem. I had it search for new devices, and Nadda. Rebooted fine and didnt find anything new. I hope this solves it once and for all!

Thanks for the help all!

Ill be sure to post again if it freezes agiain! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back