winxp sp2 totally torqued me!! help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed it two days ago and have been trying to read everything I can to either undo the install, reinstall or find individual answers to the issues I now have to deal with.

Namely:

My account:
1. All toolbars on the Start menu are off by default. As such I get a little blue strip at the bottom of the screen that I can't expand. I click and turn the toolbars on one by one and then I can expend the start bar but can only see the toolbars I've turned on. Can't see any of the applications I managed to open on the bar!!

2. Thought, maybe if I go to the windows update site I'll do a reinstall. Problem: Windows Update for some reason will not load. I turned the winxp firewall off and unloaded mcafee personal firewall first.

3. I go to windows explorer and try to drag files to another place or cut and past somewhere else but it won't let me do it.

4. I used to have the little network activity icon in the tray but that disappeared. Went to my network places and it say I have no networks connected to even though I can surf a lot of web pages. Went to device manager to uninstall/reinstall the network adapter: no avail. Went to the new network setup wizard and it won't let me load.

My roomie has a different account on the same computer also with admin privs:

5. Not even the little blue bar shows up to manually add the toolbars so you can finally see the start button.

6. He can see the mail in hotmail or yahoo mail but cannot delete it.

For both of us the load time with the new SP2 is like 3-5 times it used to be.

HELPPP!!!

I use this computer every day for hours of getting work done and for the last two days all I've been doing is trying to get it to work the way it used to.

Grimace :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back