Wiping hard drive

Harry_Beast

I am using Win7 with a ssHD of 80 gb. A year ago I reformatted the HD.At that point I had 30GB of free space.After supposedly blowing away everything,I still had only 40GB of free space.
I suspect that when using the WIN 7 disk to reformat--I loaded the operating system for a second time.
When my SSHD was brand new,I recall that the OS only took up about 8GB!!!
Is there some way to actually blow everything back to 0 GB--and reinstall OS from scratch!!!!
As of now I only have 6GB of free space.
The only thing installed on my computer is WIN7 and LOTR on-line(which accounts for 30 + GB!)
Initially I had ,when new Win7 8Gb
LOTR 30GB
Total WarII 30GB
installed --which with other miscellaneous stuff gave me 10gb free
after I blew away Total War ,I had about 35GB free
and after I reformatted ,I had 10GB free
So now,If I want to try to format,I am informed ``not enough free space``
And that is my sad Story!!!

Try this http://indrajitc.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/reclaiming-disk-space-from-system-volume-information/

In a few words - Windows is storing endless restore points in a hidden place called SystemVolumeInformation. And possibly other things too. The amount of space allowed is limited, but defaults to 15% of your total disk drive. That is absurd, especially on 1Tb drives ......

If you don't like using a command box, there are other simple ways of doing the same thing in Advanced System Properties.

BTW please stop trying to 'reformat' - you clearly are not aware of what that does, because it can in the wrong hands, leave you with no PC at all. Maybe 'reinstalled' is the word you want.

Back