Wired networking

By jmager
Feb 19, 2007
  1. Hello, I am very slow at understanding networking. I have three computers, one serves as the server, the other two as workers. Two of the three computers have a software that needs to be shared. The program is installed on both computers. Both computers had ethernet cards already in them when they were built. I have cable internet service which is shared by all three pc's. My problem is the program runs extremely slow on the worker computer. I have upgraded my memory to 1gb in both. I was advised to wire the two computers that use the same program. I did this with a Cat 6 network cable. I put one end in the worker computer and the other end in my Linksys wireless G router. I did not notice any improvement. Is there something else that I have to do? On my server pc the cable modem is plugged into the router and then there is a cable from the router to my ethernet card. I also have a wireless G USB network adapter on this pc. Is this all configured correctly? Please help with any ideas. I really need this program to run faster. Thank you.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

your wiring should look like
    modem --->router --->server
    If PC#2 is wireless, that's ok. If that's your slow system, it's a wireless issue.
    Hardwire systems will out perform wireless hands down. Use wireless for
    mobility only, not as your default connection.
  3. jmager

jmager TS Rookie Topic Starter

Okay, does the network cable go from pc#2 (the slow one) to the router or to pc#1 (the server)? I have it going from pc#2 to the router.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

directly to the router! :) :giddy:
  5. jmager

jmager TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you. It wasn't immediate, but the slower pc has sped up!:giddy:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.