Wired Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev32

Hi,

On the 5th October my damned village is at last getting 2mb Broadband and hence I shall finally have XBOX live available to me! So as all I have at the moment is a crappy 56k modem I was thinking of purchasing a Router to connect my PC and XBOX to when the glorious day arrives. I just wanted to double check that if I get a Router with a built in ADSL modem all I will need is my built in NIC in my PC with RJ-45 port? Or do I need to buy an ADSL modem for my PC as well?

If not will this suffice?

Furthermore if you have the time I have attached a general plan of how I would like everything to work. If you find errors with it could you please, if you have the time, alter them and attach them back here. I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

P.S My wired situation suits me very well at this current time so I have no urge to upgrade to Wireless.

Attachments

• PLAN 2.GIF
    PLAN 2.GIF
    7.1 KB · Views: 9
First, I wouldn't recommend Belkin as a brand. But then again, it's cheap :p

This router does not have a DSL modem built in so you will need to get the modem separately. I am sure your ISP will happily supply you with one. Just make sure the modem has ethernet capability (you want the modem for your router, not your PC).

Nothing wrong with your network setup. Pay attention to the quality of the 25m and 15m cables though.

Thanks for the quick response! I have yet to purchase the router so have done a bit more browsing around have heard great praise to Netgear. So I found this. Would you say it is a better option than the one before?

Definently better. And it has the DSL modem builtin so you don't have to get two boxes.

I have the same xbox to pc setup as u described kev32.

The way i did it is.. i have 1 NIC card (lan card) connected to router. Then i have another NIC card going to xbox so its 2 seperate networks on pc. Then i just right click my router network settings and click enable internet sharing. I had to do it this way as we had new carpet fitted at the time so couldnt hide wires and parents didnt want wires everywhere :S

i know its possible for u to network ur xbox straight to router but cant give any advise with that as i havent used it.

But if u get stuck, read some guides on xbox scene forum ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/ ). Im sure help will be on there.

Good luck with it all m8.

if you get it sorted n stuff meyb we wil meet again in games :]

Thanks for the advice! My mates got pretty much the same XBOX to router plan as I do so I'm pretty sure it will work, if not I'll just mess around with it. Hopefully going to get an xbox starter pack before 5th October then it's gonna be Halo 2 on Live from there on out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back