Wired/Wireless network setup

By not-so-pwner
Feb 16, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need help setting up my home network. I am planning to connect my custom built machine (wired into the lan) and my wireless Sony Vaio RB desktop. I dont want to have to connect my Vaio via lan because its two stories up and that would take alot of drilling and destroying of my nice walls. I know its possible to have a network like this (where wireless and wired computers communicate) but I don't know how to set it up. Can anyone help me?

Custom Computer (master)
    AMD Althlon 64 3200+
    Geforce 6600 256mb
    10 gb master harddrive
    120 gb slave
    NEC 3450A dvd burner
    Samsung Cd burner
    Windows XP home SP1

Sony Vaio RB (secondary)
    Intel Pentium D 930
    2x 150 gb HDD Raid 0 (300gb total)
    Sony DVD-RW-DL burner
    Sony DVD/CD Drive
    Windows XP Media Center

My custom computer would be the computer with all the networking tools on it.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

What network devices do you have at the moment? If you happen to have a wireless router, then all you have to do is Read The Friendly Manual.

If you currently have only wired devices, then you need to buy a wireless access point and hook it up to your current network.

You can also get away with a wireless router.
  3. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

yes.. wireless router is more efficient.. especialy if you plan to use broadband with that in the future :) otherwise a usb/pci wifi network card can also do the job of being an access point..

and yes we do need tad more info about your network setup: current and proposed and what goes where, how (cable/device etc) and such..
  4. not-so-pwner

not-so-pwner Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 22

I think Ill just buy network magic. I want to have both my wireless and wired computers to share files and print from my printer (hooked up to the wired). I have a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G v2.0) with the newest firmware. I tried everything I could think of with windows xp alone and I downloaded the trial of Network Magic and so far its been doing great for me. If I can do this without network magic it would be great.

Plan
    Have both computers share files
    Both computers print off of wired printer
    Wired to wireless speed (transfer rate) 3:1
    I have a 4 mbps connection
  5. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

well.. you can buy netmagic.. its your money.. but for free that does the same thing would be the network setup wizard..(start>programs>accessories>communications>network setup wiz)

read through it, it should be nice and simple.. but a few important things to make this work..
    - computer names/device name must be different/unique
    - Workgroup name must be the same (ie: mshome, mynetwork or whatever you wnat to call it) to let the computers see each other and transfer files/services accross
    - dont forget to share the folders/drives you want to share (right click>properties>share)
    - i assume your printer is connected to usb via computer > network hub (wired)? then dont forget to enable printer shareing from the network wiz...
    -if it plugs straight in to the network hub (ethernet) tehn you may need to consult your print manual to see how to set up.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.