TechSpot

Wired/Wirless Bridging and ICS Help Needed

By mrchu
Mar 9, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a router connected to a modem, and 4 computers connected to the router via wire. This is all fine, they're all set to obtain an IP etc.. via DHCP which is setup in the router. Having acquired a new DT laptop, I'd like to access the network and browse the internet wirelessly without buying an AP / Wireless Router + Modem...I have bought an edimax usb2 wireless b/g adapter...this goes into the one of the computers to provide the laptop with access to the network and internet...

So far I've got it to see the network, browse the internet, only access the comptuer its connected to etc... but all in experiment and I havent achieved a way to make it access the whole network and the internet yet ...

Anybody got a solution to enable me to do this? I've tried bridging the wired and wireless on the host computer, and then connecting via the laptop and this semi work but was temperamental and didnt provide net access...

thanks for reading...even a software AP solution or something would be rather excellent!
  2. fishhookz

fishhookz TS Rookie Posts: 177

Just a thought. Could it be the software that's the limiting factor? You're connecting a laptop to the 'Net through a PC, then a router. Ideally, you buy a wireless router and hook up the laptop. That saves you lot of hassles.
  3. mrchu

mrchu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 66

Well I already have the necessary hardware, the only configuration is that between the host pc and the laptop, its not too much hassle, as it stands there's no more hardware being bought, the £1800 laptop has done enough financial damage lol
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

The bridging is the way to go. The fact that it didn't work to you means you had some configuration glitch. Keep in mind that the Windows bridging thing is rather unstable and you won't get a good connection out of it.

A simple wireless access point would give you more wired ports to connect stuff to and far better wireless connectivity.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.