Wireless broadband network problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am quite new to networking. I do know a thing or two, but I now face a dilemma. This is my situation.

I have a wireless Blueyonder broadband internet connection. My current connection is from my PC's wireless USB adapter (Netgear MA101) to a wireless access point (Netgear ME102). The access point is plugged into my digital set top box (Telewest digital TV).

I have had no problems with the connection above. But today I bought a seperate network adapter (Belkin Wireless G USB) so that I could connect another computer to the same access point to share the internet connection available.

I have both computers set up correctly to connect to the internet, they both work perfectly, but not at the same time. I cannot seem to connect them both, they use the same encryption details and everything.

So if someone has an answer to this, I would love to here from you. Thank you. :)

You need a router to share an internet connection. Get a non-wireless broadband router (cheap as dirt those) and put it between the access point and the set top box.

This will not work if you need some special software for your internet connection.. How do you set up your computers?

Nodsu said:
...This will not work if you need some special software for your internet connection.. How do you set up your computers?
What do you meen by that? The only software I use is the drivers for the USB network adapters, and the program that comes with them to set the initial passphrase, SSID code, and encryption settings.

Thanks for your help Nodsu :) Just a few questions to ask please.

Would any router do the job? And could you explain why I had my problem, and why connecting a router between my digital tv box and the access point will solve the problem.

Would I still connect both USB wireless adapters to my current access point with the same setup as I currently have.

I would just like to understand the situation for personal future refference.

Thank you :cool:

problem4om.gif

I am not familiar with your specific kind of internet connection, so I can't give you the exact reason :)

But in general it something like this:
Your ISP (Telewest?) has made a contract with you to supply you with one internet connection, allocating you one public IP address. In order for another computer to get internet access it would need its another different IP.

A router takes the one public IP and masquerades all the computers behind it so that from the internet point of view you have only one device accessing it.

Thank you very much Nodsu, I apprishiate all of your help. I'll get back to you on the results once I buy a router.

Thanks for your time. :)

EDIT: Would a "Linksys BEFSR11 Wired 10/100Mbps DSL/Cable Broadband Router" work for my situation?

EDIT 2: Nodsu's answer was "It will work just fine :)".

:wave: Hi Nodsu, the router work just fine. Thank you for your advice. I now have an internet connection on both computers now. I can also share files, but it is extreamly slow, what could be the cause of the slowness. I think the router is only working at 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps if that makes any differnce.

Could you work your magic with this problem friend? :)

The bottleneck is the wireless most likely. Wireless B is only 11Mbps and the real speeds available are much less than that. Wireless G is better but you still won't get speeds above some megabytes per second. You will have to use wired connection instead of wireless if you want fast file transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back