TechSpot

Wireless + Broadband = Upload data?

By OCZElite
May 22, 2008
  1. Heres my concern, does using wireless internet result into upload bandwidth? since it sends signal or data to other computers, such as laptops? for it to be able to use internet somewhere in the house.

Thanks.

2. OCZElite

OCZElite TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

u got to be kidding...21 people looked at this thread, and those lazy bastards don't reply? c'mon its a simply question ****..

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,312   +617

please mind your manners -- I was about to respond but your second post causes me
    to pause and reconsider ---

4. OCZElite

OCZElite TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

to be honest my manners are as calm as they are.....the thing that pisses me off, how 21 people come and and read my question, and just leaves. make that roughly 40..

That what i hate..what ur doing now..coming in not posting something useful, why come in at all and waste my time, thinking its a answer...

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,312   +617

upload normally refers to moving data from your system UP to some server, eg your ISP or hosted website, so there's NO uploads
    not quite correct --
    the wireless adapter sends RADIO data to the Access Point(AP) or a WiFi Router.
    Good routers will have switch technology while the old/cheap stuff has hub technology.
    The hub is really dumb and duplicates any input to every device attached -- ie: creates traffic
    to devices that are not even interested in the slightest. A switch ONLY sends data to
    devices that are interested -- that's why a switch will out perform a hub.

So even though you might have all WiFi attached systems, no adapter sends data
    directly to any other system -- they only send to the AP or Router.

As to bandwidth, as long as you are just using Print/File Sharing, you can use all
    of your LAN bandwidth and the Upload/Download differences we all fuss over ONLY
    apply when you pass data UP to your IPS Gateway and beyond.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.