Wireless, can't connect to router but can connect to intranet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wireless network, through LinkSys an access point and switch.
The access point acts like the router, I have to laptops which need to connect to the internet, they can see the intranet, but when I ping the router the host is unreachable. The ip's are static, and have been setup manually. I can't understand how they can reach the local network but not the external. Any advice?

what are the numbers in nics
most routers default
192.168.1.1 gateway lan
they can see the intranet
whats that mean
see ??
try run cmd ipconfig /all
what are the numbers here
then do a ping in cmd like ping www.m7l.com

I don't know the NIC numbers, but the default gateway is not a 192. number, it is a local ip address, 10. number. the subnet is 255.255.255.0
What I mean by seeing the intranet is they have access and utilize the local network.

I don't have a working DHCP, so I don't have the option to release renew ip's. The IP's are static. But I will keep trying!

normally, your ISP will tell you
A::
the gateway address,
dns address(es)
the subnet mask
and when you connect (ISP--modem--directly your system)
their DHCP assigns the ip-address.
A router usually has a DHCP feature and your connection
ISP--modem--router--one or more systems​
will get ip-addresses from the router (typically 192.168.x.y)
your issue is; does the AP provide DHCP?
if not, then you'll need all the info from (A::) and to add your own IP addresses.
From your comment 'it is a local ip address, 10. number', your ap has NAT and
you will use addresses like 10.x.y.z where X and Y are between 0-254,
but always the same. Z is any number between 2-254.
The AP needs a gateway number from the ISP as in (A::)

That makes sense, except I share a T1 connection and I have not a clue as to who the ISP is. Kinda silly but I don't. Yes I have a 10.x.y.z and in that configuration as you stated. The AP does have a DHCP, however when I use that feature they can not see our local network. Therefore I used static IP's. The gateway in the AP is the same as the gateway for a hardwire desktop.

can you login as admin to the router? if so, you will see the WAN configuration.
otherwise, you need to contact someone who can login or who will give you the
ISP info previously noted

Once I log in I am not sure how to configure the router in the WAN, I am under the assumption it has a limited amount of address set. Which means I may not have any available. However, I could be wrong.
The only other information I can obtain is through tracert...which shows whom it connects to outside of the network.

look for status in main router
somebody that is running the T1 should be able to log on to that modem or interface and get the wan ip addresss's that need to be added to the nics for static access to the wan internet
your wireless setup may be blocked from seeing the wan ???
the reason I think you can not get to the other lan when you change this setup is the router needs to be a gateway/switch so disable dhcp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back