TechSpot

Wireless connect

By James Newsome
Jul 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I aint had this problem till now.. I am using a Dell Inspiron running windows 7 home premium and my wireless connects but when I try to download something it will disconnect, then find it again then reconnect over and over again.. till the download is finished then stay connected.. I dont have any problems while searching thro websites but only when I go to download something.. I dont know what the problem is and I need some help I have tried alot of things to try and fix this.. anyone that knows what is going on or knows how I can fix this please any help is welcome..

2. terry5880

terry5880 TS Enthusiast Posts: 527

1st of all make sure u got the latest driver for your wireless go to start computer system properties device manager and check for and yellow exclamation marks u could downlaod latest driver from website www.dell.com/support if this all fails then try
    please take a look at the below forum discussion link where the same issue is been discussed.
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...k/thread/e834b67f-12ae-4b3c-aa13-af27553350bd
    This issue may occur if the Enable IEEE 802.1X authentication for this network check box is selected. If this check box is selected, but there is no server to authenticate against, the connection is disconnected. If you reestablish the wireless network connection, it disconnects again after a short time.

Method 1: Disable IEEE 802.1X authentication
    To disable IEEE 802.1X authentication, follow these steps:

Click Start, type ncpa.cpl, and then hit Enter.
    Right-click your wireless network connection, and then click Properties.
    Click the Wireless Networks tab.
    Under Preferred networks, click your wireless network, and then click Properties.
    Click the Authentication tab, click to clear the Enable IEEE 802.1X authentication for this network check box, and then click OK two times.

Method 2: Remove and re-create the wireless network connection
    To remove and re-create the wireless network connection, follow these steps:

Click Start, type ncpa.cpl, and then hit Enter.
    Right-click your wireless network connection, and then click Properties.
    Click the Wireless Networks tab.
    Under Preferred networks, click your wireless network, and then click Remove.
    Click View Wireless Networks.
    Under Network Tasks, click Refresh Network List.
    Under Choose a wireless network, click the wireless network to which you want to connect, and then click Connect.
    Also I would recommend you to update the network adapter drivers and check.

Regards,

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,761   +97

Try to download off techspot. They have a download page. Here pick some and download it. See if you have the same issues as your describing? Also on the bottom of your laptop is it very hot to the touch?

4. James Newsome

James Newsome TS Rookie Topic Starter

It gets hot but not that hot.. and even if I download something off a site I have never been to before it still disconnects, I am not sure what is wrong.. still working on fixing it.

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,761   +97

Have you been to the dell support site for your model and see if they have any update drivers for it.

Drivers
    BIOS
    Software Packs
    Pay attention for WiFi and Wired drivers. Grab those.
    When last did you run Windows Update
    When last did you clean out your system (JetClean and System Ninja)?

Laptop gets hot invest in a laptop lap fan if you place the laptop on your lap, but in any case you want to keep that cool.

On your WiFi Router make sure you have the latest firmware for it. Also do a reboot on it not a reset. Or you can power it off and on. Same with your modem. Wait say 30 seconds then turn them back on. Same with your laptop too.

6. Dell_BabitaG

Dell_BabitaG Official Dell Support Posts: 74

Hi James,

In case the issue is still unresolved, please click on the link below to troubleshoot the intermittent loss in wireless connectivity on your computer.

http://dell.to/15Jz1vL

If you need further assistance, please let us know the complete system model name of your computer.

Thanks and regards,
    Babita G
    #iworkforDell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

7. Dell_BabitaG

Hi James,

We hope the issue with the wireless connectivity is resolved now.
    Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
    Babita G
    #iworkforDell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

8. James Newsome

James Newsome TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry.. I have not been around my laptop lately, I am getting ready to have my first child and dont have much time at the moment.. but I have tried the things yall said to.. but nothing has worked yet.. I am getting a new OS, soon and will have it to fix all the problems on my laptop.. I am going back to Windows xp, so thank you all for ur help and replies to my post.. you all r really nice so if I have anymore problems I will be coming back here. thank you all again..

9. Dell_BabitaG

Hi James,

Congratulations! We understand you would be busy and request you to let us know if you still face issues with your system later when you would have time to check on it. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
    Babita G
    #iworkforDell

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.