Wireless Connection Causes Screen Freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

I've got an issue ever since I've bought this D-Link DI-524 Wireless router.
I've got a HP Compaq nx9030 business Notebook with built-in Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Card
There was a USB wireless adapter included, but didn't work well so decided to use the built-in card. Now, my computer (intel pent. centrino 1,5 GHz, 512MB RAM (256MB of that installed later), everything else original) used to be stable, crashed like that (total freeze), maybe 10 times in a whole year, so I figure it's the wireless card that causes the problems. The driver version is 9.0.3.9 (as far as I know the latest). When connected to the internet via modem directly via LAN, everything seems stable. While on WLAN, the screen freezes out of the blue, after minutes, sometimes hours. It held through the night, with morpheus running.
If anybody's experienced the same problems or in any other way recognizes the problem, please let me know. I'd be very thankful for any kind of help.
Thank you in advance!
Peter Horvat

If you're using another WC instead of the one inside already built-in go into your BIOS and disable the built-in WC and infra-red also. If you can test this also in XP you have change the order of what XP should use to as a network card.

Click on Start
Click on Connect to
Next show all Connections
Right click on the card you want to use
Hightlight it
Click on Advanced
Click on Advanced Settings
Make sure the card you want is first.
Reboot the PC

See below;

Hi, first of all thanks for your prompt reply,

You see, I have uninstalled the D-Link adapter, I want to use only the built-in Intel WC. There is no other Wireless connection available other than the one using Intel WC at all on my CPU. Naturally I have a LAN connection set up and a VPN for my ISP. The problems still persists though.
What is more, it seems some of the software don't recognize the wireless connection (for instance gmail notifier seems to stay offline while on WLAN).

You should use the driver offered on the HP website. The latest from Intel may not work that well.

Does it crash when you are not running morpheus? P2P programs can put a very high load
on the network.

Do you have any software firewalls or VPN software installed?

You can try running your WiFi network without encryption or using a different crypto system for a while too.

Your router has the latest firmware installed of course?

Yes it does crash without morpheus running. Infact, it DIDN'T crash for some 10 hours (the longest period so far) while morpheus WAS running but the CPU was otherwise inactive. The driver is the latest aswell as the one installed, when the laptop was purchased. I haven't checked on the firmware yet, didn't think it could be a factor. I also run ZoneAlarm and Norton 2006. I've configured the router without encryption.
I will check the firmware, test it in case a newer one is available, and post a report afterwards.

Thanks very much for helping.

Peter

Too late?

I may be too late in posting to this thread but will try anyway. I have a wireless card that will crash when I use Zonealarm. As soon as the card connects to an access point it crashes, I mean blue screen and all. I swithed to Sygate and all is well. Also, if you have a copy or can get one of the live cd called Kanotix Easter edition, it will pick up an Intel 2200bg wireless pci card. When I use this setup the laptop performs flawlessly. Whoever wrote the drivers for this linux version of the wifi card, he was a genius. The other versions of Kanotix work also and so does the Knoppix 4.0 version.

sounds like zonealarm is blocking the wifi port.
buy a real router and drop zonealarm.

There is no such thing as a wifi port. And I don't think crashing the computer is an adequate response from a firewall.

crash it did

Computer would not boot to windows when wifi was on at bootup and zonealarm was on...blue screen and reboot continually. Uninstalled zonealarm and no reboots with wifi on. Sounds pretty easy to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back