wireless connectivity issues on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i've been having some huge issues with wireless connectivity recently on my laptop. I have moved home for the holiday season from college, and I am now running a wireless network in my home. I have a Pavilion zd8205US laptop in my room. Downstairs, I have a D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router, and also an iMac directly connected nearby with a wired connection. I am running Windows XP SP2 on my laptop, with a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN wireless card.

Now, my heres my problem: It shows that I have excellent signal strength and that I am connected, but I have trouble browsing the web, and using any internet-connection oriented program, such as AIM or online gaming. My connection is constantly interrupted, even while simply browsing online. I've tried contacting HP for support, but nothing they've offered has worked. I just don't understand, because I have excellent signal strength, why would it be interrupted so often?

I've been told it has something to do with my TCP/IP settings, but I have no idea where to even start on editing them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tyler

Do you have any advanced ("advanced" as in "A Huge Buggy Resource Hog (Norton)") security software installed? VPN?

oh damn i have the DI-524 too!!!! hehe so okey..um...i had static connections too..works fine for 2 days..then bam...no connection but strong signal...just call D-Link and ask them to give u a new IP address...currently your router is set to...192.168.0.1 or sumthing....so they will walk u thru some steps and change it to...like 178.15.0.1 or sumthing...hope this helps

@ Nodsu - Right now i'm trying out the Windows OneCare Live beta... I may remove that and see what things are like without it.

@ LipsOfVenom - I'll definitely have to get a hold of D-Link then, thanks a ton for pointing me in a direction! The only thing thats different is that i'm on a dynamic connection from my cable provider. anyway I can change the IP myself through the router admin page?

oh yea...just go to the admin..on the left, click on LAN and change the IP to sumthing...then apply and continue..then go to WAN and change MTU to 1452 then apply and continue then go to START, RUN, type "cmd" no quotes, then ENTER, the type "ipconfig" no quotes and.......u should see the IP address that you entered in the admin page.

WHEN YOU DO ALL OF THIS, MAKE SURE YOUR CABLE/DSL MODEM IS TURNED OFF BUT THE ROUTER IS STILL ON AND CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER

Well I changed the IP and MTU... nothing. Performance wise at least. The IP changed successfully, but my connection is still horrible. I dunno, i'm at a loss here. Anything else I could try? Thanks for the help so far guys, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back