Wireless for tecra 8100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just recently acquired a Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop. I operate a wireless network at home and would like to add this laptop to the network. I have been unable to find out if it will support a wireless card and if so, what kind of wireless card do I need to purchase?

Any PCMCIA wireless card will work. So this is probably what you'll want. You can also get USB and the Tecra 8100 may also have a spot for a mini-PCI. Mini-PCI might be more trouble than it is worth though, especially if your laptop isn't "wireless ready", but it is installed on the inside.

more about Tecra 8100 going wireless

Rick, thanks for your comment. If I get a PMCIA wireless card is there any special software that I need to make it work? Will I be able with such a card to hook it inot my network and browse the internet through my network. I am connected to a cable system for my ISP services.

If I get a PMCIA wireless card is there any special software that I need to make it work?

You will need drivers and a wireless software utility. But if you buy a new PCMCIA card (also called cardbus) or USB wireless, it will come with the appropriate drivers and wireless utility (XP comes with its own which is pretty simple to use)

Will I be able with such a card to hook it inot my network and browse the internet through my network. I am connected to a cable system for my ISP services.

A wireless card is just another way to inferface with your network. So this will be fine. If "hook" means physical plug in, you can also get wired networking PCMCIA cards / USB adapters which will allow you to plug it in.... You know... if you're into that kind of stuff. :)

My compliments

Thanks Rick for taking the time to help allay my fears about going wireless with this machine. I was afraid that the Tecra 8100 might not be capable of handling all of the intricacies of wireless networking, but I feel good about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back