Wireless interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got two laptops - Dell Latitude D110 (Centrino) and Compaq Armada with a Linksys WPC54G card, both running XP SP2 and connecting to a Belkin F5D7632 router - 802.11g, WPA. The laptops have static IP addresses and DNS servers and I've checked that the IP addresses are different. Either laptop works fine, but when one of them is connected, the other won't. The icon inthe system tray says connected at 54MBps, but when I try and browse the web my browser says it can't find the site at (for example) www.google.com.

I've tried switching one laptop to DHCP but it doesn't help.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Scott

DHCP is not your problem nor the solution.

check the router and both laptops to ensure that they are ONLY connecting
at the 54mb(G) rate and do not attempt either g/b rates

Thanks - all my devices are already set up to work on 11g only. This may be a red herring, but I changed from WPA to WEP last night to see if it made any difference and hey presto both laptops connected. I'm not desperately happy about relying on WEP, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

scottboy said:
I'm not desperately happy about relying on WEP, but I suppose it's better than nothing.
yep! it's a reasonable 'due deligence approach', but if someone is determined, they can break in.

hint: if the firewall is configured correctly, then all they get is a free ride to the Internet.

1) use static IP addresses for YOUR lan systems, mapped from .1 thru .x
2) declare ,1-.x as trusted
...ie: allow in/out ...1 thru ...x tcp+upd all ports
....... (the default will then deny everything ...x+1 and above
........ which includes the .255 broadcast, but don't worry about it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back