Wireless Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'm having a real issue connecting my notebook via wireless:

I have just purchased a Compaq presario v6000 notebook pc with Vista home Premium pre-installed. When I turn on the wireless, I can see my router (A Belkin 54g) and attempt to connect. When prompted I enter my SSID and click "Connect"

I then get an error message saying that I cannot connect as I have the incorrect wireless settings. I have tried a full Microsoft update as well as downloading the latest wireless drivers for the notebook, the problem still persists!

However, when I plug in my Belkin USB adpator that I use in my desktop, I can connect absolutely fine, I enter my SSID, click connect and hey presto, I can access the internet.

Obviously this setup will do for the time being, but I really dont know why I can't connect using the in-built wireless. Does anyone have any suggestions? All help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

Gareth

You wouldn't have enabled MAC filtering by any chance ? If such is the case, you need to add the MAC address of the new laptop to the router's list of authorized devices.

Hmm not sure to be honest, if so, how would I find the MAC address of the Laptop? Also, I am able to connect fine using a USB adapter, wouldn't this mean that the MAC address of the notebook was fine also?

MAC address for each network device is different. Your USB adapter will have different MAC address then your build-in wireless adapter.

Click Vista Button, at Search prompt type "cmd" without quote and press enter.

type "ipconfig /all" without quote and press enter.

look for your wireless adapter card description and copy down the Physical Address, that the MAC address you may need to add it to your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back