TechSpot

Wireless N or G?

By nickslick74
Oct 26, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, maybe you guys/gals can help me make a decision. Within the next 2 months I will be building a new computer and I will also need to get a new wireless router. Currently I have Wireless G router and it works fine, but I have to leave it behind.

So, will it be worth is to get one of the new N standard routers or should I just get another G? I will be playing some games and sharing the connection with at least one other computer. Range won't be a problem. The furthest I'll be away is about 30 feet and 2 walls.

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

As a side note, the "N" standard is not yet an official standard. http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/11/Reports/802.11_Timelines.htm.

N will provide greater bandwidth (600Mbps or so) and range. I'm unsure what other advantages there may be. It will most likely be compatible with current 'N draft' equipment, but nothing is certain.

3. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 524

Wirleess N has a longer range of signal compared to wireless G

4. krow14

krow14 TS Rookie

i had a problem with mine. can any of you help me with it? i had a router, but due to interference with our walls and phones, it cant reach my computer up in my room. do any of you know a good router that has a longer range at a decent price???

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Anything that says "MIMO" or "Pre-N" or "N" should be your best bet.

The alternatives include investing in devices such as signal boosters, repeaters or better antennas. These things have been discussed on the forum in some detail, so take a look around. :)

6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Once again, unless you are going to be transferring large files between networked PC's then it might not be advantageous to get the bigger and better routers. You are limited by your ISP bandwidth, which is WAY below the 54Mbps for G and generally less than 11Mbps for B. So if you just need to get 2 or more computers online at the same time, then I wouldn't buck up for the more expensive router.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.