Wireless N or G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickslick74

Okay, maybe you guys/gals can help me make a decision. Within the next 2 months I will be building a new computer and I will also need to get a new wireless router. Currently I have Wireless G router and it works fine, but I have to leave it behind.

So, will it be worth is to get one of the new N standard routers or should I just get another G? I will be playing some games and sharing the connection with at least one other computer. Range won't be a problem. The furthest I'll be away is about 30 feet and 2 walls.

i had a problem with mine. can any of you help me with it? i had a router, but due to interference with our walls and phones, it cant reach my computer up in my room. do any of you know a good router that has a longer range at a decent price???

krow14 said:
i had a problem with mine. can any of you help me with it? i had a router, but due to interference with our walls and phones, it cant reach my computer up in my room. do any of you know a good router that has a longer range at a decent price???

Anything that says "MIMO" or "Pre-N" or "N" should be your best bet.

The alternatives include investing in devices such as signal boosters, repeaters or better antennas. These things have been discussed on the forum in some detail, so take a look around. :)

Once again, unless you are going to be transferring large files between networked PC's then it might not be advantageous to get the bigger and better routers. You are limited by your ISP bandwidth, which is WAY below the 54Mbps for G and generally less than 11Mbps for B. So if you just need to get 2 or more computers online at the same time, then I wouldn't buck up for the more expensive router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back