Wireless Network Card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I installed an SMC 2802W wireless network card, on my Pentum 4 pc - MSI Motherboard. When I switched on the PC it told me 'Corrupted PCI.SYS, please enter Windows XP to repair the installation'. Then I entered Windows XP disc, and it did not let me do the repair installation, and so I decided to format the pc. Again it did not let me format the PC. I removed all partitions and I tried again to Format the PC, same thing - it was giving me error - (at least this was the message error 536833280). Then I tried to remove the battery and flash the BIOS with the jumper setting, and again there was no improvment. I also tried to install with Windows 98, and again the Setup did not let me install the OS.

Does anyone has any clues please? :) :rolleyes:

Thanks,
David

The error is as it says "Corrupted PCI.SYS". This means the PCI.SYS file which is required for Windows to boot is corrupted.

So we should investigate this first. Why is it corrupted?

If this is a computer that worked at once time, I would consider attempting to reseat the memory. Perhaps it was loosened when you installed your NIC. Bad or improperly seated memory will cause this error.

If this computer has never worked and always given you this error with Windows 2000 / XP, then try replacing the memory and see if that alleviates the issue.

To a less likely extent, the file could also be corrupted due to hard drive / file system / CD problems. Try a fresh install with a new hard drive and use a different CD if possible to rule these out as possibilities.

Also, I never rule out the possbility of something else. So be open to any other suggestions, but memory is the only thing that has caused these problems in my past experiences.

Here's what MS has to say about the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319136

Hi man,

thanks for your prompt reply :) Finally i got the PC up and running! Thanks loads :D Keep it up ;) you have some good knowledge about computing... and troubleshooting! Im a IT Officer, however i m still gathering experience :) Thanks a lot mate and keep it up!

Cheers
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back