Wireless network problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but I've been searching, and your forum came up. I'm hoping you'll be able to give me some solutions for my wireless network problems.

Right, what I've got first: I have a computer with a MSI PC54G2 Wireless IEEE802.11g PCI Card Adapter and a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter.

I've been told that I can use the former as a virtual router, and then connect to my wireless network with the latter.

What I've done so far: Installed both of them, and they both work. I've run the configuration on the MSI thing, and created my network (I think). My laptop has now connected to my network, as is my computer. So, both are connected together it seems. However, that's as far as I can get.

Although the two say they're both connected to the same network, and give me network stats, like signal strength and link quality, I don't seem to be able to have any communication between the two machines.

On my laptop, my Belkin Wireless Monitor, shows that my Laptop is connected to my router, but then has a big cross between my router and the internet.

Because of this, I'm assuming that's the problem. But, how do I solve that? Does anyone have any suggestions where I go from here? Thanks a lot everyone.

I am trying to fix a local wireless network problem. Desktop can acess Laptop and open shared files but laptop can only access desktop not open any files.
I am browsing for answers here because i see it is common problem.

Best thing do to right off the bat, is to hook your desktop and laptop directly to the router using cat 5e cable to see if the router does see them on the network and you get internet access. Also on your router make sure you have the webadmin GUI open so you can see if and when the router does pick up the two wireless devices.

Let the router assign the DHCP to desktop and laptop, then when you get one you can assign IP as static IP works a lot better and keeps the address stable. You might not have to do it this way, but it depends on your devices you have.

Once your wireless devices are active and working you can unplug the LAN cable for the wired side..., Make sure for one that your WEP or WAP keys are matching the Wireless Router, and your two wireless devices that you want to connect to. I would also recommend using XP Wireless built-in software than third party ones. I find third party doesn't always work right.

Steven Ford said:
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but I've been searching, and your forum came up. I'm hoping you'll be able to give me some solutions for my wireless network problems.

Right, what I've got first: I have a computer with a MSI PC54G2 Wireless IEEE802.11g PCI Card Adapter and a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter.

I've been told that I can use the former as a virtual router, and then connect to my wireless network with the latter.

What I've done so far: Installed both of them, and they both work. I've run the configuration on the MSI thing, and created my network (I think). My laptop has now connected to my network, as is my computer. So, both are connected together it seems. However, that's as far as I can get.

Although the two say they're both connected to the same network, and give me network stats, like signal strength and link quality, I don't seem to be able to have any communication between the two machines.

On my laptop, my Belkin Wireless Monitor, shows that my Laptop is connected to my router, but then has a big cross between my router and the internet.

Because of this, I'm assuming that's the problem. But, how do I solve that? Does anyone have any suggestions where I go from here? Thanks a lot everyone.

It sounds like you've set yourself up an ad-hoc wireless network. One computer broadcasts wireless and other computers connect directly through wireless to that computer.

However, each computer needs to be configured properly - this is probably the missing step. You need to enter IP, subnet and gateway information manually for each computer. You can enter this information by going to Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on the wireless connection you wish to use for your ad-hoc network and choose 'Properties'. Double click on "TCP/IP" and add your network configuration manually.

Your network config should look something like this:

Wireless host/server (What you referred to as your 'router')
IP - 192.168.0.1
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

Wireless client:
IP - 192.168.0.10
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

I've been told that I can use the former as a virtual router
Being 'a router' doesn't depend soley on the NIC. Your Belkin NIC card may allow for ad-hoc networks, but this is basically the wireless equivalent to a hub. Hubs have no logic and therefore do not 'route' network traffic - this is the difference between a hub and a router.

For your computer to act as a router, you need to employ something that routes traffic, like NAT or ICS. ICS is built into Windows and allows you to share internet and that's all it is useful for. If you're just trying to share files over the network, then ICS should remain disabled.

Routers often act as a DHCP server as well, which assigns IP addresses (so you don't have to do it manually like above), but Windows (non-server versions) does not have that function built-in and it is definitely not part of ICS. It can be provided by 3rd party software though.

In my opinion, you shouldn't do any of this. Get yourself an inexpensive wireless router and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches, time and everything will make a lot more sense... It might even work better. :)

Have you made sure that your firewalls are turned off, or allowing access to certain ip addresses (you local ones)?

here's what you need;
modem -- wireless_router
.................+--- wireless / or wired connection to system-A
.................+--- wireless connection to system-B

all system connect to the router, not one another :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back